Would this work?

I was just thinking for a little bit, about ways to make peltiers more effiecient, and i was wondering, would something like this work:

Heatsink/Waterblock
Peltier
Coldplate
Peltier
Coldplate
CPU

I was wondering if that'd be effective at all, although I have a feeling it wouldn't, since the heat from the 2nd pelt would be too much for the cold side of the 1st pelt, unless it was cooled a lot..hmm..

yeah, you can do a two stage pelt to get larger temp differences and a denser cold area (can't think of a more accurate term) than is possible with a single pelt, which is limited to roughly 65C, and is really wide as compared to a CPU core.

thing is the first pelt should be roughly 2x as powerfull as the CPU and the second pelt should be roughly 2x as powerfull as the combined load from the first pelt and the CPU.

lots of power to supply to the pelts, lots of heat to get rid of, and i don't think that doing all of this makes a pelt cooling solution "more efficient" but makes it far less so due to the dramatic increase in complexity and the huge amount of waste heat that it generates.

You could try using a cube shaped coldplate, with pelts on however many sides of the cube you want. I think some German team used this method with 5 pelts to keep an AXP at -60* while OCing it to 3.3 or something like that. Sorry for being vague, but I don't remember much else right now cause I have a headache :(.

ikellensbro said:
You could try using a cube shaped coldplate, with pelts on however many sides of the cube you want. I think some German team used this method with 5 pelts to keep an AXP at -60* while OCing it to 3.3 or something like that. Sorry for being vague, but I don't remember much else right now cause I have a headache :(.
headache aside, it really depends on what is limiting you. if you have enough pumping capacity and a thick enough coldplate, a single pelt can do as well as those five pelts in terms of cooling down to the -60 C range.

if you want to go beyond what is currently possible with a single stage pelt (EG temps below -70 C) than a dual stage design is what you need.

again, i'm not really advocating it, just pointing out what they can and can not do.

Back