Would this be caused by static electricity?

Hey guys,
If a mobo was damaged by static electricity, would the fans still power on and beep codes still initiate? Or would it be completely dead as a doornail?

A mobo at work had just that, fans turned on and there was a beep code not listed in the manual. I only had a minute with it, so I have to wait until Monday to really get a good look at it, but the person that brought it to me said they thought it was static electricity. Maybe all it needs is a CMOS clear, not sure.

Thanks.

Quite possible, but i static damage is pretty rare, i man handle my hardware all the time and have never done anything to them, in a work environment i think its even less likely, maybe a power surge? definitely sounds like the mobo is gone but...

No idea if that would be caused by static electricity or not. But I'd like to comment a bit on the issue;

Static electricity is a very real issue. Many parts can be damaged by this. You can damage parts without even feeling that famous "shock" or seeing a spark, it won't take much. I've learned my lessons.

These days I work on my parts on a clean kitchen counter standing on a tile floor. These surfaces won't generate static electricity. I also hook myself to ground using an anti-static wrist strap and a custom ground A/C plug. I also use a pair of anti-static gloves whenever possible as they also help to avoid getting skin and oils on the parts I'm working with.

Just be careful and use common sense. Don't work on parts while walking on carpet in socks. Try to find a static free surface to work on and be aware of the surface you're walking on too. Always use a grounding strap. Don't leave parts in the open for your family members or pets to touch. Don't work when the air is hot and dry.

Back