Would this be a worthy upgrade?

jmet

n00b
Joined
Feb 16, 2003
Messages
32
I currently own the AGP version of the MSI 6600GT 128 meg video card and just found a great deal on a BFG 6800 Overclocked 128MB AGP Video Card.

I figure after selling my 6600 and pulling in some owed money from clients I would break even, would this in fact be an upgrade for me or a downgrade?
 
Depends how much extra money youre spending, its an upgrade for sure but how big is questionable.
 
I found it for about $150.00 and could easily sell my 6600 for around $100.00.....
 
I use both (on low for wow) and currently set resolution at 1280x1024, I mostly play World Of Wacraft and HL2 and its mod's etc..
 
I ordered it, not a shabby upgrade considering that it will basically be $50.00 spent on my part. After doing some research this card also appears to have a decent unlocking rate so my fingers are crossed for that.
 
my bfg nu unlocked, mine is older (bought it when it hit the shelf) great card though.
 
Next time u pose such a question let us know what processor, mobo and amount of ram u have.

Its quite possible your cpu could bottleneck the slight performance increase from the gpu.
 
6600GT will last you awhile longer. If I was you I would save up for a 64bit and PCI-E-SLi board... And get yourself a 7800GT or something ;)
 
V99 said:
6600GT will last you awhile longer. If I was you I would save up for a 64bit and PCI-E-SLi board... And get yourself a 7800GT or something ;)
why bother with SLI if you're not planning on using it? he probably isn't, if he's looking at a mainstream card like that.

and, if you're not doing SLI, then there's not a whole lot of point to going PCI-E, other than the fact that the dominant chipset that supports that feature typically overclocks pretty well.

also, given that the AGP flavour of a given card is typically cheaper than the PCI-E version.......the combined savings of a cheaper board, and being able to get a given card for cheaper, might mean that he could actually move up to a higher performing card, which would give him a real-world FPS gain, as compared to the knowledge that he is using a newer interface format, by using PCI-E.

people are now going to say that i'm only making this case because i'm on AGP myself, however i'm on AGP because that is where i could get the best FPS in the games that i play, within my budget.

if money is not an issue, 7800GTX SLI and all the other bells and whistles, all the way, but money is pretty much ALWAYS an issue, isn't it? :|
 
Make sure it's a real 6800 (12 Pixel Pipelines) and not a 6800 LE. ( 8 Pixel Pipelines)
 
For the person that mentioned it.

Asus A7N8X-E REV 2.xx
XP3200
1gig PC3200 Dual Channel



I bought the card knowing it would be a small upgrade from what I have, I am not looking to upgrade my mother board etc. for another 6 months or so.
 
V99 said:
6600GT will last you awhile longer. If I was you I would save up for a 64bit and PCI-E-SLi board... And get yourself a 7800GT or something ;)

Last longer how? It is an agp...

The 6800 is a better faster card....
 
Back
Top