• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Would this be a good upgrade?

Blinkme323

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Feb 8, 2005
Messages
1,666
HI, I am thinking about upgrading my video card. I have a 2.8ghz S754 combo coming in, so I am a little strapped for cash.

Right now, I have a 9800 Pro running 400/350. I got it new from RMA last month. With my current setup in my sig, I get 20,400 3dmark01 and 2680 3dmark05.

The upgrade would have to cost me less than $25. I figure I can sell my 9800 Pro on Ebay for like $115.

I'd like a 6600gt or 6800nu, but they are out of my price range. I was thinking of getting a 6600 vanilla and overclocking it. I've seen people do 575/350 no problem. A quick search turned this up:

http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?p=GA-A6600&c=pw

Do you think it is worth it. It might bench a little bit better and be more future proof,

I won't be upgrading for a while. My monitor limits me to 1024:768. So, I would be gaming at that res on max.
 
with the 6800 or even the 6600 you can turn AA and AF way up at that resolution and get true trilinear with little slowdown. i'd get a better monitor as a first priority though.
 
The monitor is not happening. I have a Dell 17" LCD. It is nice and does 1280:1024. I don't liek its black color and ghosting though. I have a Viewsonic 17" CRT that looks great but only does 1024:768. I switch them up, but use the Viewsonic most of the time.

I can max most settings up now except textures which is probably ram related. The only games I will playing for a while are BF2, HL2 and mods. After that, it is XBOX360 time.
 
Back
Top