Would Streaming via Media Extender Introduce Gaming Lag?

Comp625

n00b
So I finished setting up my HTPC (which is awesome by the way!) for the purpose of viewing live cable TV/DVR via the Silicondust HD Homerun Prime. My next project is to get live TV fed to the bedroom by way of another HTPC or a Media Extender.

Because my cable provider (Cablevision) protects everything as "Copy Once," I can't share DVR recordings to another HTPC unless it's done via a Media Extender (e.g. Xbox 360 or Linksys DMA2100).

IF I use the Media Extender and stream live TV upstairs, will that introduce lag if I'm playing games simultaneously? My fear is that the streaming will put an extra load on the router...mind you, I have the Asus RT-n56u which utilizes a Hardware NAT.

Example: Girlfriend is watching TV upstairs because she doesn't want to be anywhere near the sound of my Counter-Strike rifles... LOL. :D

If the network is fine, then no. If it isn't the extender will let you know you need a better switch.

Shouldn't effect it much if at all. I have a similar setup and I don't notice any issues. I have two xbox 360s as a media center extender and three other PCs steaming at various times and haven't noticed any real latency issues.

I run everything gigabit but at 100mbps it shouldn't overload your network to affect ur game.

The only lag likely in that setup is going to come if you're trying to do the HD streaming over wireless. If everything is wired, it won't be a problem.

Back