Would stock AMD Phenom II HSF work with socket AM2 CPU?

amd7674

[H]ard|Gawd
I can get one for $5 and I was wondering if it would work with my 5050e (AM2) cpu. I wonder if it would be better than stock AM2 cooler...

TIA;)

Yes, it would work. I did this same thing last week with a friend's build. He wanted a better HSF for his 640 and I had one in my closet since I had put a custom one on my 955.

yes, AMD cooler mounting has not changed since 754 atleast(i think it may have gone further, but not sure)

Well, the stock heatpipe cooler that came with my Opty 175 doesn't fit on AM2 or AM3. I would say AM2 & AM3 are okay, but 754 & 939 coolers would depend on the heatsink itself.

Well, the stock heatpipe cooler that came with my Opty 175 doesn't fit on AM2 or AM3. I would say AM2 & AM3 are okay, but 754 & 939 coolers would depend on the heatsink itself.

AMD spec has not changed since 939 (for consumer anyway, not sure about server)

It has changed on the server side. Magny-Cours was available for about a month before aftermarket heatsinks showed up.

yes, AMD cooler mounting has not changed since 754 atleast(i think it may have gone further, but not sure)

correct, the present day mounting started with socket 754.. it has changed a little over the years but the standard 2 mounting hooks have stayed the same minus some manufactures that retardedly used custom mounting..

It has changed on the server side. Magny-Cours was available for about a month before aftermarket heatsinks showed up.

yep that is true.. but it also has 1000 more pins then any other socket AMD has used :p

How do you like your 5050e? I've got the same CPU in my system (see sig) slightly overclocked to 2.8GHz with the stock HS/F. I'd like to upgrade to an aftermarket one, but have to find one that fits in my case.

It is not too bad, I think it is a perfect HTPC CPU. I did swap my HTPC and PC Main system due to 8800GT card which IMHO is much better at handling 1080i OTA HD than 8200IGP. So now I'm using it as my main system and I find a little slow when decoding movies comparing to my older e2160 @ 3Ghz. I guess smaller amount of cache doesn't help.

How do you like your 5050e? I've got the same CPU in my system (see sig) slightly overclocked to 2.8GHz with the stock HS/F. I'd like to upgrade to an aftermarket one, but have to find one that fits in my case.

AMD spec has not changed since 939 (for consumer anyway, not sure about server)

The base is longer. It has a lug on each corner where the shroud for the fan connects that prevents it from mounting on AM2 & AM3 sockets. Also, the heatpipes hit the retention bracket.

Ive had the stock heatpipe cooler that came with my Opteron on 939-AM3...fit all of them fine and worked good with a higher RPM fan...Its on an old AM2 via board right now.

Collects dust easy though...

Yep, got an AM3 heatsink here that I was using on my AM2 stuff in my sig for a while. Until I got one of the AM2+ heatpipe coolers.

Ive had the stock heatpipe cooler that came with my Opteron on 939-AM3...fit all of them fine and worked good with a higher RPM fan...Its on an old AM2 via board right now.

Collects dust easy though...

Well, I'm glad that it worked for ya. But the one that came with mine doesn't fit AM2 or AM3, at least none of the ones that I've tried it on.

The stock X4 HSFs are actually quite decent......they would make a good option for a 45w CPU. The PhII X2 ones, less so, because the don't have heat pipes, but still would probably be better

Back