Would stacked URL shorteners work?

Coldblackice

[H]ard|Gawd
If I took a URL and "stacked" it through multiple URL shorteners, and then someone clicked the first link of the "fuse" -- Would it iterate through each URL shortener, registering a hit in the stats of that URL-shortening service?

I realize it'd be easier to just try it out and see, I'm just wondering about the actual workings/mechanics behind the process, as far as the actual process of what triggers a click at each train-stop of shortener service.

My guess is that it would work, as each shortener service will register a hit from the previous service, and then send the user off to the next one. I'm unsure if there could be some type of hiccup in this process, that prevents each service from registering the appropriate stats/data, like proper referrer and origin IP.

I'm looking to do a comparison of statistics between the respective services using one URL. I'm a bit hazy as to the plausibility of this actually working, equivalently 4-6 URL bounces/redirects off of one click.

In theory it should work I would have thought.

But one possibility is that the developers of a short url service have built the application to visit the URL and strip out any redirects and just direct the user to the end URL instead.

As far as I am aware a user can be redirected unlimited times, but some browsers pick up redirect loops etc

Back