Would my laptop slow down due to heat?

gamekid

Gawd
hello, i have a dell 1520, video card is 8600M GT....and in games after i have been playing for a bit, i will get considerably lower fps....like in tf2 ill start to average 20 fps. now, i am guessing that my laptop could be getting hot and slowing down as a precaution - if this is true, is there a way to turn this setting off - or will it void my warranty?

Get something to elevate your laptop, like a book perhaps. Just lying or placing it on a flat surface isn't going to help with great airflow.

Also, try cleaning out the fans/grills. Most likely dust is caked on your vents and heatsinks.

To check your temps, try Core Temp for your CPU and Rivatuner or ATI tool for your 8600M GT.

I used Rightmark CPU Clock with my M9700 to drop the voltages across the board when I was having overheat trouble in WoW even after re-TIMing the entire system with AS Ceramique compound. I thought it was the GPU, but it was my CPU.

At this altitude (Cache Valley, UT), I guess the air is just too thin.

Spend $50 and get the Zalmon notebook cooler for your notebook. It is well worth it and one of the best coolers you can buy. I never see a drop in FPS on my notebook due to heat even after a few hours playing TF2, Crysis, etc.

Back