• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Would my Intel E6600 cpu be a bottle neck

Brusher

Weaksauce
Joined
Aug 5, 2005
Messages
82
for the ATI 4870x2? Thinking of upgrading but no need yet if my CPU is going to slow it down.

Current system Specs:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo, E6600, 2.40 ghz, 4mb L2 cash, 1066 mhz
MB: ASUS Striker Extreme
GPU: EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX w/768mb
Ram: 4 gigs Corsiar Dominator
PS: 700 watt
OS: Vista, 64 bit

Thanks for any help.
 
All depends on your resolution my friend. If you have a small monitor like me (1280x1024) then yes. Even in Crysis with everything maxed, putting a heavy load on my 4850, it gets bottlenecked unless I have my cpu overclocked from 2.4 to 3.2+.

Though I bet many would disagree, if you play at 1680x1050 I don't think it would necessarily be a bad buy. The only games you will get cpu bottlenecked in will be at like 100+ fps anyways, and the new stressful games that kick the crap out of your system will most likely hit a gpu bottleneck first anyways.

Also, considering you got a 8800gtx, I would not upgrade to anything BUT a gtx280 or 4870x2, and would most likely wait for the next round of games to consider it. I mean common, is that 8800gtx tripping over anything but the craptastic Crysis games?

One last thing, if you game at 1920x1200+, disregard everything I just posted and buy a 4870x2 ;)
 
Thanks for the reply. Sounds like it would still help then.

I have a 32" Sony XBR6 monitor but the highest resolution offered in the Vista Display Settings is 1920x1080. This is also the higest resolution offered by any games I play including Stalker CS and Crysis Warhead.

I play Stalker CS with everything maxed, (except AA which I set a x2), with no dragging at all. Anything over 2x AA makes it drag terribly. With Crysis WH, I can't use any AA but with everything else maxed out it still drags quite frequently. Especially during heavy battles when there is lots of stuff going on.

I'm wanting to get ready for Far Cry2, Fallout3 and some of the other great games coming out and I want to be able to play them fully maxed including full AA. haha I know I ask alot. ;) That's why I was asking, if even with the 4870x2, is my CPU going to stand in the way. I would just hate to have to buy another CPU and mobo. ;););) but don't want to unnecessarily.

Thanks again
 
You have it at 3.2ghz... a 3ghz core 2 duo blazes through anything.
 
nvm you don't have it overclocked, I was reading adrift's sig haha.

Yes a core 2 duo clocked at 3ghz will be fast enough to run any videocard,
 
hmmm. Well that is a possibility. Unfortunately my OCing skills are zero. haha If I knew how to do it without screwing something up I'd do it in a heartbeat.
 
Well read up then because you have a wicked motherboard and a core 2 duo with 4mb of cache that will overclock to 3+ easily, which is enough for any game.
 
hmmm. Well that is a possibility. Unfortunately my OCing skills are zero. haha If I knew how to do it without screwing something up I'd do it in a heartbeat.

No offense Brusher but you're at [H] you better learn a thing or two about OCing. Seriously though that Duo could and should be running at or above 3Ghz. Even with the stock cooler you've got several hundred free Mhz there for the taking. Plus with that Asus you could and should be sailing away past 3Ghz
 
Yeah that's a decent air cooler. No reason at all not to be 3Ghz. Get into your BIOS and go to work
 
Well I was going to upgrade my mb and cpu pretty soon anyway so I guess this would be a good time to try it. Hope the local fire dept. doesn't see smoke bellowing from my windows after while. lol
 
Ya don't be shy :p. Seriously, I wouldn't be surprised if you could get it to 3.0 without even touching your voltages (which is the only dangerous thing to do). Just bump up ur FSB in the bios, set a divider for your ram (upping the fps will OC your ram as well), and ur good to go. It is always good to do research and inform yourself (for next time ;)), but if you have any questions just PM me with the settings you need help with and I will give you info.
 
Back
Top