Would like to hear opinions...

• Thread starter Deleted member 189430
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 189430

I am thinking about changing out an e6850 for a phenom ii x4 980 be, x4 965 be, or x6 1045t on my sons' pc. I would also change out the 8800gtx for a gtx 480. It's been a very long time since I've had an AMD chip.

clock for clock core 2 and phenom 2 are just about equal, if you need more core than AMD beats intel on that generation.

480s are power hogs, so unless you already have it, I would stay away.

just my opinion.

I'm running 480s sli in my rig and would just move one over to his is what I'm thinking about doing. It's just an option but don't know if I'm going to go that route.

You would probably be better off just getting him a lower end model card. As he said 480s are power hogs which I am sure you know having 2 480s in SLI. So unless his power supply is sufficient enough to power the new chip +card then grab something less power hungry? Also if he only plays games or w.e he doesn't really need a 6core processor. 4cores is plenty for games as they only use up to 4cores now a days.

if you can get the 980 BE for a good price go for it. but if you want to save a little money look around for a used phenom II x4 955 BE(C3 stepping). it should be able to do 980BE clocks on stock voltage maybe a slight voltage bump if its a bad overclocking chip but they all do 3.8Ghz minimum with a some going above 4Ghz. the other option to look at would be the 960T if you can find it for the right price. cool running, low power usage and overclock like a beast, some can even be unlocked to x6's.

other than that, depending on the monitor your son uses, if its 1080p or lower i'd say look at something like the HD6850 or 6870 or if you can find a 5770 used for dirt cheap thats another good option. the GTX 460's can be found for 100 or less as well.

My opinion on this is that it really depends on the games he is playing. A lot of MMOs and Blizzard games tend to only use 2 cores, so you'd be better off with an i3 2120 (3.3ghz) in that case over any AMD chip.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2011/07/01/intel-core-i3-2100-review/6

looking at the 2 games tested, an lowly i3 2100 (3.1ghz) beats out a 4.3ghz 980, and has a higher max framerate than a 4.2ghz 1100t in crysis.

IPC will matter more in games that only use 2 cores, and even then the i3 has hyperthreading and can hold its own against an X4.

It also costs about 25% more and doesnt overclock. So a few games will benefit but most everything else will suffer.

My 960T cost me $105 shipped and ran 4.0ghz with six cores completely stable.

Back