Would like info on USB or external sound cards

rosapearl

n00b
My company PC has a lousy integrated sound card and I am looking for a better sound card. I am restricted in opening the PC so it has to be an external soundcard. As a medical transcriptionist I only listen to doctors dictating medical reports either wav or dss format. The company PC sound card makes everything muffled and difficult to hear. I can download the same files to my personal PC which has a SoundBlaster sound card and the dictation is very clear (due to HIPAA rules I cannot use my personal PC). I am interested in knowing if an external/USB sound card can really improve the sound quality. I have no problems with volume.

I also don't know the difference in a firewire card and a regular sound card.

I have looked at the The Creative X-Fi HD, but it doesn't have a 10-band equalizer software which I really need.

I have heard the ASUS Xonar U3 was the best on the market.

Has anyone actually used an external sound card and can tell me what would be the best choice for me? Thanks so much. :confused:

usb sound cards are the best sound cards....

i doubt any of these sound cards have hardware equalizers anyway most are just software as part of the package. windows 7 has an equalizer built in by the way.

What are you using as an output device? If it's speakers, and they're cheap and crappy, that will probably be your biggest problem. For what you're doing, perhaps a decent headset would be appropriate? There are a number of USB headsets, with the "sound card" integrated, specifically tuned for voice communication. Many of them are even wireless. I'm don't have much experience with them, mainly they're for multiplayer gaming but others around here know way more than I if this is the road you want to go down.

I have the Audio-technica ATH-ANC7b which I really like. The speakers are cheapos furnished by the companay Altec ($18.00). The only reason I use speakers is to have a volume control near enough because I have to constantly change it with the different dictators.

The muffled sound only started when I had to switch to the company's PC, so I know it is the sound card itself. I had these same speakers and headphones when using my personal PC and could hear everything crystal clear. But USB headphones still might be a good choice

ok those are 300 ohm cans.....pehaps your overdriving the onboard sound....

I use an E-MU 0404 USB audio interface for my home PC. It's overkill but it's got a great sound and has a decent headphone amp. They can be had for around $100 if you're willing to buy used.

Back