Would I really notice a difference between different SSDs?

Forealz

Limp Gawd
I just ordered some new parts, and I'm thinking of adding a new SSD as well to make the transformation complete. I want to spend between $150-300 on one, so looking around this will get me about a 64GB drive. The size is fine, its going to hold my OS, swap file, word, and 2 or 3 games I'm playing at the moment. Everything else will be on my TB drive.

So, I'm overwhelmed looking at all these drives. Will I really notice a difference between them?

Also, I plan on my TB drive to hold all my games, can I easily transfer them to my SSD if they are my game of the moment?

Get one the following 3 drive series:
an Intel X25-M 80Gb G2,
OCZ Vertex 60-120Gb
or Kingston 40-80Gb "Intel inside" G2 drive.

Kingston has rebranded Intel drives, same hardware, same performance, just make sure you get the "34nm / G2 verion"

i would recommend the intel if you intend to use it as a OS boot drive

The intel one seems fine, tho its write speed is 70MB/s, which seems low when looking at different drives. Does that matter?

I thought Intel had problems with that drive. There isn't any firmware update for it?

The firmware update IS the problem with that drive ;) Just use it, and when a new firmware comes out wait for some other folks to test it out so you don't brick the drive. the 70MB/s write speed is not an issue unless you're doing large file transfers to the drive. With smaller writes that day to day OS/app operation tends to do the intel controller is usually faster than any other consumer ssd. If you do get the intel, make sure you get a G2 drive so that you'll have trim support eventually, they aren't giving that to G1 owners.

The intel one seems fine, tho its write speed is 70MB/s, which seems low when looking at different drives. Does that matter?

Intel sacrifices sequential write speed for superior random write speed. For the most part, that's a good thing. It's only going to be a disadvantage when you are copying large files to the SSD, which isn't terribly common for a system disk.

Since you want to install TODAY, and not SEVERAL MONTHS AWAY, I vote for OCZ Agility or Vertex because the TRIM firmware actually works. Plus, all the drives in the channel have been shipping with the TRIM firmware for months now, so you're likely to get a drive with support built-in.

The problem with Intel right this moment is their TRIM firmware has issues, and Kingston doesn't even have TRIM support yet (it is planned). In my opinion, OCZ got the jump on Intel because of this whole TRIM mess.

Don't be afraid to go with the Agility over the Vertex - it's a tad slower (uses older flash tech), but it uses the same controller so the difference is minimal. In reality, the performance is still lightyears faster than any mechanical drive. I've been very happy with my Agility 60GB.

Back