• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Would I get better performance?

It depends on the game. If a game takes advantage of multiple cores, then no, you will not see an improvement. However, assuming you are not going to overclock, you will probably see some improvement in other games that do not take real advantage of multiple cores.

I would personally stay with what you have and wait for the piledriver release later this year. Either that, or learn how to overclock if you want to. (If you do not overclock already, I mean.)
 
It depends on the game. If a game takes advantage of multiple cores, then no, you will not see an improvement. However, assuming you are not going to overclock, you will probably see some improvement in other games that do not take real advantage of multiple cores.

I would personally stay with what you have and wait for the piledriver release later this year. Either that, or learn how to overclock if you want to. (If you do not overclock already, I mean.)

I plan on overclocking the shit out of it...

I could go with an 8150 which is on sale too, but it would be $239.24 out the door vs. $119.61 for the 4100.
 
Just for fun, it would be good. However, do you have your X6 overclocked?
 
Just for fun, it would be good. However, do you have your X6 overclocked?

Yeah I have it overclocked, but it's usually only stable at about 3.6. I figure I can get a higher clock from the 4100.
 
I don't know the numbers but I bet if you hit 4.8+ it would be an upgrade, unless you use your x6 for encoding and and like, then the 4100s lack of cores would hurt you.

the 8150 overclocked to hell would likely be an upgrade regardless, how much of one I am not sure. That sucker is gonna use more power than your current proc though.

Also man I snagged a 4100 off ebay unused, but opened, for 85 shipped. I would look out for a similar deal.
 
I don't know the numbers but I bet if you hit 4.8+ it would be an upgrade, unless you use your x6 for encoding and and like, then the 4100s lack of cores would hurt you.

the 8150 overclocked to hell would likely be an upgrade regardless, how much of one I am not sure. That sucker is gonna use more power than your current proc though.

Also man I snagged a 4100 off ebay unused, but opened, for 85 shipped. I would look out for a similar deal.

Any news when the next best AM3+ CPU comes out? My options don't seem that great. I'd really rather not switch mobos to Intel as I bought this motherboard not that long ago.
 
Would the 8150 be any better?

Probably not, no. That's essentially a sidegrade from a 3.6ghz Thuban at stock speeds and only considered an upgrade if you overclocked it, but the performance increase wouldn't be worth the money you'd pay for the upgrade.

If I were you I'd sit tight or buy a 2600K + Z68/Z77 if you're itching for an upgrade right now. If I were in your position, and I sort of am sitting with a 955, I'd wait until we see Vishera or Haswell.

Trinity should be out May 15th so it'll give us a good sign as to how Vishera, the AM3+ chip, will perform. Vishera won't be out until late Q3 and most likely Q4 this year, though.
 
Save some cash and go for the 8120BE, can OC as good as the 8150 for less. You'll need a good cooler, they do run HOT!!:D Something to tinker with until the Piley's arrive.
 
Your choices are:

8120 / 8150, or wait for next chips to come out. If you waited this long you might as wait a little bit longer. i agree with you that if you bought the mobo you might as well use it.
 
Your best options are to either wait for revisions to 8150 or swap platforms to Intel. Current 8120/8150 are a minor upgrade and not really worth the expense unless you just want to tinker with a new chip.
 
The thing in general will perform about the same if you can get the clocks up for the Bulldozer.. I wouldn't swap platforms just wait until Piledriver appears since you already have a 990FX mainboard. And it is in no case a much needed upgrade.
 
I've compared an OCed 960T to an OCed FX 6100.

In Skyrim the 960T starts putting up the same min FPS as an FX 6100 @ 4.4GHz when it hits 3.7GHz. At 3.9GHz the 960T is 5FPS faster in min FPS than the FX 6100 @ 4.4GHz in Skyrim.

The difference between them shows in min FPS in cities with ultra shadows active. I was playing @ 1920x1200 using the straight ultra preset.

Ram for both of them was over 2000 speed. NB was limited to 2600 for the 6100. It couldn't do higher than that with any stability. The 960T could run over 3000 on the NB. That would add some FPS.

Unfortunately, the 960T I have didn't unlock.
 
Last edited:
I had an FX4100 and was happy with it, but no way would i replace a thuban with it. I would if anything upgrade your motherboard / cpu heatsink to allow better overclocking of the thuban.
 
Back
Top