Would I be better served with 8800GTS or GTX?

AdamNesvick

2[H]4U
Rig is in sig, I just got a new monitor, and will be running everything in 1680x1050. This card will have to last at least 2 years, which do you think?

EVGA GTS for $430

or

MSI GTX for $525

Both prices are at zipzoomfly.

Edit, I do have an SLI motherboard, but that would be a long way off.

8800GTX if you plan on using it for two years......don't waste any money on SLI unless you are rich

GTX if you can't upgrade for a few years.

Can't you find soemoen other than MSI? They've got terrible RMA... and that's why I stopped using their products in my consumer builds.

Arcygenical said:
GTX if you can't upgrade for a few years.

Can't you find soemoen other than MSI? They've got terrible RMA... and that's why I stopped using their products in my consumer builds.

Best price out there right now, and cash is a big issue for me. Thats why I'm leaning toward the GTS

I bought the 7800 GTX over the 7800GT back when they just came out, still using it today and running great. I say get the gtx, it has more unfied shaders and higher memory bus, you can allways overclock the core and mem on the gts but that will new make up for the loew number of shaders and lower mem bus.

Do you have to get it soon? I really suggest, if money is an issue, wait just a little longer like 1 to 2 months. We will see a price drop soon enough.

C.Norris said:
Do you have to get it soon? I really suggest, if money is an issue, wait just a little longer like 1 to 2 months. We will see a price drop soon enough.

but that is always the case.

Anyways regardless I would be waiting for the release of R600 to see how that performs and whether it is competitively priced :)

I would get the eVGA GTS, and then if you feel its not enough, step up to a GTX later.

RavenD said:
I would get the eVGA GTS, and then if you feel its not enough, step up to a GTX later.

I agree. Or get the GTS now and go dual SLI in 2 years when they are lower in price. What resolution do you plan to run. Right now my 3d2006 scores are better than a stock GTX. I know you can overclock the GTX. I am running at 1920x1200 on my 24" with everything maxed....Now if you plan to be using it on a 30" monitor I would say get the GTX then...

Thanks for the advice, its probably not going to be bought till feb anyway, its hard to justify that after shelling out 290 for a monitor last week, my 7900GS is ok for everything at this point except oblivion and I quit playing that a while ago.

I also seriously doubt I will get an R600, unless its the complete cats ass and costs a LOT less, I have had too many arguments with ATi Products over the years. They perfected everything with the 9800, and the went and fucked it up again :(

Back