Would getting a new Road Runner cable modem change my IP address???

Hey there...I am getting a new Road Runner cable modem...wouldn't that change my IP address??? THANX
C'YA :cool:

Depends on your ISP, if they provide a fixed or dynamic IP address. Or do you mean on your internal network? That can be configured on your end. Most IP's are dynamic these days, unless you pay extra, and you don't need them. Unless you're running a server.

Correct Road Runner uses DHCP assigned IP addresses so every 4 days or so your ip Address has a chance at changing to a diffrent one. When i went into excange my modem they gave me a Motorola surfboard SB5100 it fixed my problem of the old toshiba i had before dropping the signal.

Just went to a forum that some dork banned me from for no reason...I can go there now...haven't been there for years...I can view the content now...heh heh...oh wait...all those CS servers I hax0rd on a few years ago...I'm not banned from them anymore...DAMN...I hated CS so much back then that I wanted to get banned from them all...now I'm not...damn...looks like I'll be playing CS again...BWAHAHAHHAHA!!!! .....................jk...I wouldn't risk getting banned from HL2...

hmmmm...it's this easy to get "unbanned" from things??? How lame...almost impossible to get rid of n00bs and spammers...hmmmm...OH CRAP...ppl might not believe me when I go back to my clans...I belonged to a clan in SvenCoop and in FireArms and 2 in TFC...I left them to take a break from those games to play these other games that were coming out...when they compare my IP to the old IP they might think it's not me...damn...hmmmmmm......oh well...I'll figure something out when I decided to play the mod again...prolly will joing right before HL2 comes out...the clans I'm in all plan on moving to the HL2 version when the mod comes out for it...

Ah, the joys of those so out of touch with reality it causes that little flag to go up in your mind "Danger. Instability Present. Run Screaming."

changing your mac address should change your ip address, that how it works with my wideopenwest, and my old comcast accounts.

DHCP gives IP addresses based on the MAC address of the requesting device. Depending on your DHCP lease, the only way changing the cable modem itself would have any impact would be if your lease expired. Or if the new cable modem was pulling IP addresses from a different source.

By keeping my PC running daily, I have kept the same IP address with Road Runner for over a year. Its been the same since the blackout last summer.

Airborne said:
DHCP gives IP addresses based on the MAC address of the requesting device. Depending on your DHCP lease, the only way changing the cable modem itself would have any impact would be if your lease expired. Or if the new cable modem was pulling IP addresses from a different source.

By keeping my PC running daily, I have kept the same IP address with Road Runner for over a year. Its been the same since the blackout last summer.

New cable modem = new MAC address.
New MAC address = new IP address.

Regardless of DHCP lease, it was tied to the old MAC address, which no longer exists.

You have been lucky to keep the same IP address for twelve months, there is NO guarrantee that when the lease expires, and a new one is allocated that you will get the old one back. It is just fortunate that it generally ends up that way.

RoadRunner have been doing a stack of changes in my area, so my IP address (at the router) changes regularly.

Using something like dyndns.org helps get around some of those problems by access your computer remotely by name rather than IP address. Not sure about all routers, but I know my Dlink 614 has that capability as well.

Back