Would changing ram effect an overclock?

hossdaddy

2[H]4U
Hi guys I recently upgraded my ram kit from a 2x2gb gkill ripjaws 1333mhz @ cas 8 to a 2 x 4gb mushkin redline 1600mhz cas7 kit. I got a bsod out of the blue last night. I have oc'd teh cpu (rig in sig) using the Asus suite with the mobo. Should I re-run the oc to keep things happy with the hardware change?

TIA!

Yes. More ram and ram at higher speed both can mean more noise on the bus. With both.....

I would first try backing a little off the CAS7. Then run HCL memtest for a few hours (running as many copies as you have cores) or memtest86+ for at least 8 hours preferably a day.

I just ran memtest for 30 mins without issue.

30 minutes will only tell you if your ram is very very unstable. It will not catch all problems like timing issues or bits sticking when the ram warms up. I have seen systems (work experience where I have had hundreds of machines) where the ram was bad and it took 72 hours to see the first problem in memtest86+.

One thing though memtest was running the ram @ 533mhz and 5-4-5-12 timing?? Did memtest mis-read the ram? Its verion 4.26.

2 things. All ddr is double clocked which (without going into the details of how this works) means the frequency in MHz will be 1/2 of the DDR speed. Second depending on your system DDR3 1600 probably is an overclock of your memory controller. By default the BIOS will not do this overclock so by default you get the maximum non overclocked speed. For lga755, lga1366 and some AMD systems this is DDR3 1066.

ok but thats the stock specs on the ram. This is the kit I have
Mushkin Enhanced Redline 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

I just ran memtest for 30 mins without issue. One thing though memtest was running the ram @ 533mhz and 5-4-5-12 timing?? Did memtest mis-read the ram? Its verion 4.26.

You may need to clear your BIOS settings via the jumper or switch on the motherboard since you changed RAM out as well. Sometimes the system will not pick up some of the settings when you swap things out.

You will also need to manually set the speed, timings and voltage to get the RAM to run at it's rated speed.

ok well I decided to run prime95 to see what would happen. Two workers failed after 2 mins. I then looked into the bios and realised that the cpu voltage was only @ 1.33v while my cpu is overclocked @ 4.515mhz. So, I raised the voltage to 1.45v and am now running the same test and 15 mins in all seems ok no failures yet. I am going to let it ru for a couple more hours still, then run memtest86 to check the ram as well.

I haven't OCed an AMD chip in quite some time, but that seems like awfully high voltage for 32nm. How are your temps?

well that's what I thought so I may back off the voltage and re-run prime95. The temps are fine, 26c @ idle and 40-45c under load.

I wouldn't agree with that necessarily, back when i had my e6750 to oc it to 3.2g i had to use 1.43v.

I wouldn't agree with that necessarily, back when i had my e6750 to oc it to 3.2g i had to use 1.43v.

Yeah, but that was 65nm, that AMD is 32nm. Big difference. I won't put more then 1.4v into 45nm, I can't imagine putting more then that into 32nm.

Back