Would blocking a case fan ruin a fan or motherboard?

morkboy_wonder

Limp Gawd
My current rig sits in a coolermaster stacker 832. The board it kept nice and cool by some side fans and needs no more air flow. I have two 120mm fans with nice blue leds which I would like to mount on the front of the case but I was wondering if I could just tape the fans up so they make no more noise but would still glow. Would this ruin the fans and more importantly could this ruin the motherboard they are connected to?

My current rig sits in a coolermaster stacker 832. The board it kept nice and cool by some side fans and needs no more air flow. I have two 120mm fans with nice blue leds which I would like to mount on the front of the case but I was wondering if I could just tape the fans up so they make no more noise but would still glow. Would this ruin the fans and more importantly could this ruin the motherboard they are connected to?

thats kinda dumb... but no i dont think it would hurt the motherboard... as for the fans, id assume it would eventually have an adverse effect... but there was a build somewhere where the fans were submerged in oil and they still spun and never died...

Why not just buy some blue lights for the front of your case? Killing 2 fans for the sake of LED's doesn't make much sense to me.

Just use them as is or buy some blue LEDs. (Not that I understand why everyone has to cram an overpowering amount of blue LEDs in their machines these days. Its worse than ground effects on Hondas.) Stalled fans draw more current and burn themselves out pretty fast. You'd be better off just removing the motor and leaving the LEDs in there if you didn't want to buy any new lights. Would be a little work but shouldn't be too hard.

No it would not damage the fan or anything else.

When you supply a current to the fan, the current will create a force that would accelerate the fan and it would continue accelerating until the wind resistance is equal to the force created by the current. Now the fan will spin at a constant speed.

When you tape the fan, you are just applying another force to equal the force created by the current.

Back