Would an analog LCD be better than Trinitron CRT?

belfert

Limp Gawd
I am about to buy a Dell PC. They have deals that include a 17" analog LCD.

Should I buy with the analog LCD or just keep using my 19" Dell Trinitron and save a few bucks on the PC? If the LCD was DVI there would be no question.

Brian Elfert

rhouck said:
define better...?
Ya, many would beg to differ even if the lcd was dvi.

But to each their own, ain't going to start a crt vs lcd flame war so i'll bow out now ;)

rhouck said:
define better...?

it will take up less space...

Image quality mainly. This is for mainstream stuff like Word, web browsing, and viewing digital pictures. No gaming and no graphics editing.

I always read things saying not to do LCD without DVI.

Brian Elfert

things may have changed, but i've heard more than one time that with DVI the difference is most notable with using higher resolutions (which i've interpreted as 1600x1200+). now, most are impacted over interpretation mentally, so think digital w/o converting to analog and "hey, it should look better" - and yeah, it probably will. i've stuck with crt's through another display update because i just like that i'm not confined to an native rez, amongst other (albeit, there are very few) drawbacks to current lcd's. don't get me wrong, lcd's are great - but if you're not in any hurry, why not wait to see what tech comes out in '06?

fakeian said:
native rez, amongst other (albeit, there are very few) drawbacks to current lcd's. don't get me wrong, lcd's are great - but if you're not in any hurry, why not wait to see what tech comes out in '06?

I am looking at buying a PC from Dell today. They have bundles with an analog LCD or I could save $50 to $100 without a monitor and keep using the 19" Trinitron.

Brian Elfert

belfert said:
I am looking at buying a PC from Dell today. They have bundles with an analog LCD or I could save $50 to $100 without a monitor and keep using the 19" Trinitron.

Brian Elfert

Don't by a pc from dell.

i'd say save the money - you're probably better off with the trinitron and wouldn't get much to ebay a 17" lcd - well, not enough to cover what you spent, most likely.

You will get least $50 on ebay for a dell 17" LCD

analog vs dvi is blown out of proportion; yes dvi looks better but analog still looks just fine

if all you are doing is word processing, I'd get the LCD and ditch the CRT

Reasons:
1. smaller = more desk space (not to mention looking nicer ;) )
2. doesn't generate as much heat
3. won't get fuzzy/fade nearly as fast as a mediocre CRT (text stays sharp, older CRTs become unbearable to work on)

Unless it has REALLY bad specs, image quality is going to be fine (unless you are doing professional graphic design...)

The downsides of lcds...
1. better to keep at native res else has to scale
2. less pure blacks
3. possibility for ghosting games
4. input lag
... just don't seem to factor into your situation at all.

I used to use a CRT over LCDs, partly because of price but partly because it was better for what I was doing. Now LCD tech has improved a lot and I don't play games much anymore, so my LCD is primarily for general office work and watching movies. Works great :)

Unless you are saving > $100, I'd take it. Give it a shot, you won't lose any money off of it either way.

i just see a hassle of trying to sell something for $50 bucks that ended up costing $50-100 more for. i can't imaging the specs on the 17" lcd but they're probably not super great, prob just desent for general use. remember though, if dual setup sounds cool to you it's always an option. :D

VFDking said:
Don't by a pc from dell.

Why not? Yes, they aren't highest performing, but they have really good deals. This is for a gift and I don't want to be married to it.

I long ago gave up building my own as I had wierd lockups and crashes fairly often. I also wasn't saving any or hardly any money if I bought a legal copy of Windows.

I would be happy to choose another amjor brand if the deals are just as good.

Brian Elfert

VFDking said:
Don't by a pc from dell.

I disagree. If you are going to buy a prebuilt, Dell is probably your best option for what your going to need it for.

Back on topic. Get the LCD. Try it for a few days, do with it what you want and test its limits. If you don't like it, eBay it. You will get at least $100 bucks for it seeing as how they are pretty expensive elsewhere.

So seriously, try it out and sell it if you don't like it. Just don't jump the gun on getting rid of the CRT just in case you change your mind down the road.

A good LCD will offer crisper text than a Trintron. A low end LCD will make you go blind.

I have 3 of the Dell 1905's at home, 2 are DVI and 1 is Analog, you have to strain to tell a difference. At work I have a couple analog 15" and 17" Dell displays, that I have used with my Matrox P650 to compare to the 1905s, big difference! The analogs were much softer and darker. Not enough that my users really noticed since they weren't used to using Trinitron displays. But I was used to a Trintron and the 1905s.

Either upgrade to a nicer LCD or keep your Trintron, assuming it isn't showing its age.

Back