• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Would an AIO do much more for me?

AshleyG

Limp Gawd
Joined
May 5, 2007
Messages
272
I currently have an i5-3570 / MSI MPower Z77 combo, cooled by an Arctic Cooling Freezer 13. With the chip overclocked to 4.4GHz (I'm being safe while I get used to the system), I idle between 32-34C with a room ambient around 22C. When churning away at Thrine or Guild Wars 2, I'm averaging around 60C and have gone upwards of 65 (when my mother in law is over and we have the house heat cranked up).

Things are stable, but I'd like to know I have a little headroom as I start to move the CPU speed up a few notches. Would an AIO water setup do me much good, or am I already seeing passable cooling as I work the CPU up to 4.6Ghz? If it would be helpful, which AIO do you recommend?

(full disclosure: I have a little bit of money in my pocket to burn and a case [Corsair 800D] with a window and plenty of room for a radiator to fit. If I can address the vanity factor at the same time as I address the temps, more power to me)
 
You should test your temps with something stressful like Intel burn test or something other than GW2 or Trine. If you are getting 60c on those games, you might be at your limit temp wise, and probably a good idea to check.
 
If you have a half-decent tower cooler (such as the Freezer 13), you won't see major improvements going to an AIO unless you're talking about a massive 240 or 280mm AIO like the H100i or a X60. Even then, don't expect a world of difference. The difference between the best right now (the X60) and the cheapest AIO cooler (such as the H60) is only around 10°C, and your tower cooler probably performs the same as the H60. Do you really want to spend $100 for another 10°C of headroom?
 
You should test your temps with something stressful like Intel burn test or something other than GW2 or Trine. If you are getting 60c on those games, you might be at your limit temp wise, and probably a good idea to check.

Just left Intel Burn Test to run for an hour during dinner; came back to find the system sitting at 73C. Not too awfully bad, I guess.

I am looking at the H100i, Eureka!. It will give me the physical space to add more RAM later, as well as look nice. And since I'm only going to be paying about $30 of it I'm not seeing it as a major expense.
 
if your only paying $30 I would get if you needed it or not. I always pick a AIO kit before a huge block on my mb. I have a window on my r4 and I like to see my investment instead of a huge ugly metal
 
I take it you're using a 3570K and not a non-K? 65C is fine. You can get that baby up to 88C and be fine (throttles at 95C). The most you'll probably take it is to 4.7GHz with an AIO like the TT Extreme 2.0 or Corsair H100. 4.8GHz if you got a magic chip... and you don't mind the temps going up to the 80's during load. I'm talking about Prime95 blend test load temps... which for gaming you won't ever see load get that high and sustained.
 
Back
Top