Would a cas desinger help with an idea I have?

edward78

Limp Gawd
I really like the Xbox dems., maybe make it 3.5 inches tall for moer PSU room... FlexATX seems a good size, you can get 500 watt ones, put a reg. height GPU in with a riser, a 3.5 cutout for those 3.5 i/o panels you can buy so get a MB with certain i/os just get a panel with those & like 2 3.5 internal drives... I have it all in my head, but no idea on how to build it in a CAD program...

1) Write up this idea point by point because it's really hard to read what You just wrote. Your concept is just all over the place.
2) Pick up sketchup or some 3D cad and start with simple boxes measured up as component outlines. figure out if the layout really works.
3) Make screenshots and share them here. If You can visually represent the layout properly then someone with skill and a proper CAD might check that up in his/her free time.

good luck :)

Reactions: eggDK
like this
9sgGJIx.png

Slim ODD
3.5 cutout for a i/o panel (get the one you want online)
Power (Big button) LED button should go in...

hg5Wmri.png

mITX with 2 riser slots, I want a FlexATX PSU, but not sure about the cutout size, so not in yet...

PrkwrK1.png

Side vent (other is the same so why paste 2 of the same)... Top vent above cpu...

It is w12xh35xd15

Is you have Protocase, I will send it if you want...

Last edited:
Interested.
Bare case or intended with some sort of plastic facia?
What material were you thinking?
Full scale production, one off build, or just for fun?
Are you planning to send this to protocase for manufacturing? That seems like the intent of protocase designer.
I work in PTC Creo Academic, I can draft out a few concepts and export to step. No full scale organizational linking due to academic license.

Awesome, nothing is inside yet, not sure on how the air should flow, I can send you the file if you have Protocase, so you can look... Any advice, the riser slots not far enough from the MB cutout? As for the FlexATX PSU, should I widen the case for it or can I put it at the top of the case? The PSU seems a bit tall for that though... I wish Protocase supported more formats... I have no vent on top for the CPU heat exit yet... Oh, that 1 led is for the HDD... Making a real case would be great... I want good metal, but not a lot of $$$...

Last edited:
You need some space from the motherboard IO for the slots. You will also need some space on the other side if that's for a GPU because of the PEG power connector.
If You want to use PCB riser with extensions then there's have to be 20.5mm distance between center of the slot to the star of the GPU PCB.

You should start drawing some distancing for the components or it'll take ages :)

Ok, so 15 inches wide should do it, it looks like it should... http://www.silverstonetek.com/raven/products/index.php?model=RVZ01-E that case is 15, so I am hopeful... The PSU should be before the mb in the case prob... FlexATXs are 81.5 mm (W) x 40.5 mm (H) x 150 mm (D) right? Want the .PDA so you can look at it? This is abit much you think?

ffHEqfG.png

Ok changed it a bit 12.5 wide 4 high & a place for the FlexATX psu...
vMVwSGl.png

No need for a reply till after the holidays, have a great one... :)

Last edited:
Sorry, I went a bit AWOL due to the break. I think I got myself a bit confused as to how far this was going, I was originally thinking about using a professional CAD package such as PTC Creo, CATIA or something to hesh out full blown manufacturing, whereas this makes more sense as a one off case done through Protocase or such that already has the facilities to do it (since I imagine that $1,000's of tooling is not in your budget :p)

I'm a bit confused as to how I can help, since Protocase designer is a pretty good all in one solution that goes through Protocase for creating the design and simple hand calculations would be all you need to do to figure out packaging (of which you already have the hang of). Wiring, heat, and structural concerns might be where I could lend a hand though, but I haven't honestly seen much in the case world that justified advanced analysis unless it was a really bad niche case.

TLDR keep posting questions and I'm sure people will continue responding, I don't know whether I would actually be as useful as I thought as a CAD designer on this project.

Last edited:
Really what you think is good, I have no idea how the inside goes, but my external design is good right? Protocase will take care of the inside right?

Back