Would a black image burn a plasma "less"?

Coldblackice

[H]ard|Gawd
Is there a color that would burn a plasma screen the least?

---

HTPC -> 7950 (HDMI) -> Yamaha 667 receiver -> Samsung plasma HDTV

When my HTPC puts the display to sleep from idling, unfortunately, my Yamaha receiver ends up sending a "screensaver" image to my HDTV instead of cutting off the signal. This prevents my TV from auto-off'ing in lieu of no signal after 15 minutes, which I'd prefer.

Unfortunately, it seems it's not possible to disable the receiver's screensaver function. So I'm wondering if there's a static color image that would burn a plasma the "least" -- I can mod the receiver's firmware to upload a new screensaver image. But too bad I can't mod it to disable the screensaver function!

A black picture should be OK. Even an even gray one if it is not for long periods.

I use the sleep timer on my plasma or a I put a playlist that is 3 hours long, as I have my tv set to turn off after 3 hours.
one nifty thing with HDMI is when I turn off the tv, the receiver turns off as well.

Great. Thanks all.

I use the sleep timer on my plasma or a I put a playlist that is 3 hours long, as I have my tv set to turn off after 3 hours.
one nifty thing with HDMI is when I turn off the tv, the receiver turns off as well.

Is this on an HTPC, or just a TV<->Receiver? If it's an HTPC, does turning the receiver off mess up your computer windows + desktops?

I leave my receiver permanently on because of this. Not sure if that's wise or not, though.

it's on my HTPC, but I only send audio to the receiver currently.
My 5850 was artifacting when going through the receiver, was about to RMA the card when I decided to just go straight to the TV and the artifacting was gone, not sure what the issue was since I swapped cables and used other inputs that worked fine with my other media players and bluray player.
I put a 6950 in the HTPC but haven't tried going through the receiver again to see if this one artifacts as well through the receiver.

Most recent good plasma units should not have permanent burn in, but image retention is still an issue (and most units have built in tools for preventing and/or removing image retention, though their effectiveness is hit and miss).

I think the safest route is a dynamic full screen visualization graphic to defeat burn in, if what app you play music in allows for that. Else a screen saver (or put the screen to sleep) with a short activation time is best; though keep in mind some players can override the activation of a screen saver/blank screen, which sucks...

i use electric sheep set to turn on after two minutes for my plasma

A long as the picture is uniform then you're ok. If it's not uniform then you want grey.

Back