Worthy upgrade?

Jellyfishpudding

Limp Gawd
i7 930 @ 4ghz ----> i7 2600k

ASUS Rampage Formula III ----> P8P67 Pro

6GB G. Skill PI DDR3 1600 ----> 8GB G. Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600

I'll be sticking with my EVGA GTX 560ti SC.

Yay? Nay?

No way! You already have that 930 overclocked
If you need something faster grab another 560 and run them SLI

I wouldn't bother with that one either unless you have a bunch of money burning a hole in your pocket.

Another great idea is to buy me a 2600k... cause you're not going to realize much of an advantage with it. Basically anyone with an x58 system should wait for x79. The x58 may be old in computer years, but it's more like Schwarzenegger in Terminator 3... Arnold was wrinkly and gross, but still kicks loads of ass.

Another great idea is to buy me a 2600k... cause you're not going to realize much of an advantage with it. Basically anyone with an x58 system should wait for x79. The x58 may be old in computer years, but it's more like Schwarzenegger in Terminator 3... Arnold was wrinkly and gross, but still kicks loads of ass.

HAHAHAHAHA! Perfectly said!

If it is not going to hurt you too much financially I so go for it. It went from a 920 on a EVGA to a 2500k on a Asus 68 pro. I am so glad I did. It uses less electricity, runs cooler, is a little faster in most apps, plus the newness factor is a plus.
Though if your going to be eating Top Ramen for the next month I would stand pat. Ivy and BD "should" be out fairly soon.

X58 systems are still beasts....especially for gaming. @4ghz I wouldn't even be looking to upgrade for at least another year. I do second another 560 ti in sli tho, that would be a noticeable upgrade if you game.

Of the three named Sandy Bridge-E processors that will kick off the LGA 2011 socket, only two will be fully unlocked. Of those two, the i7 3930X and i7 3960X (both with six cores), your talking about price tags at roughly $600 and up near $1000 respectively according to the analysis I've read. Given their specs, those prices don't appear too far off base. The one that has the limited multiplier unlock, the quad core i7 3820X, will debut between $400 and $450.

While each of these will surely be great upgrades, coupled with their respective boards' potential for a 66% boost in RAM performance, it sure seems like one hell of a hit to the wallet no matter which you choose to go with. That's got me thinking that this whole "wait for LGA 2011" is redundant since I'm not gonna spend that kind of cash at the end of the wait.

This leaves me with the Ivy Bridge option. Those CPU's will use the 1155 socket. And while there are many reports out there that claim you'll still need a new board for these, that remains to be seen as far as my reading is concerned.

So, from the standpoint of someone (me) who always wants to get the best return when it comes to selling off their gear in favor of buying upgrades, and seeing how far out a potential launch for the Ivy Bridge would be, my bet is that even if I do have to buy a new board, I'm gonna get more cash for selling the current 1155 components than I would with those from a 1366 build in 2012. That said, I'm thinking that making the jump to 1155 now, regardless of the marginal increase in performance, would be worth my while.

Do you agree or disagree?

well obviously the longer you wait to sell a product, the less return you will yield. So as far as maximizing profit on selling items, upgrading now would be beneficial, but only from the standpoint of making money on your current parts. Keep in mind, an i5 2500k with a new board can be found pretty low, especially from microcenter which sells it for 250 and add an extra 100 for a solid board. The affordability makes it a great upgrade but since it also rivals your x58 system, severely minimizes your return. Another option which may prove to actually rival intel is the up comming BD launch that you may want to wait for.

As far as a hit to the wallet.....intel has generated some of its largest profits this quarter in its companies history, the current price point of i5 2500k/i7 2600k (around 200-300 bucks) will continue to exist in the future bc of what it has demonstrated in terms of revenue. So even if u upgrade in a year and only want to spend what you would spend on an i7 2600k today, there will be something better for the exact same price.

Hmmmm. Bulldozer. Me likes. I'd been hearing of these on the way, but I hadn't used an AMD CPU since the Athlon 64, which was great back in its hay day. $320 for an 8 core processor whose speculative performance (demonstrated at E3) lies somewhere between the 2600K and 990X? I'm on board. Gotta read more.

Ya alot of rumors say they OC well and will be close to SB even at stock.....so it should be a very respectable competitor

Ya alot of rumors say they OC well and will be close to SB even at stock.....so it should be a very respectable competitor

Reports of the $320 FX-8130P show a stock speed at 3.6GHz with 4.2GHz turbo. Pretty sweet. There's also a report of this one doing 5.1GHz on air. That may be a stretch, but I imagine these things will be no slouch coupled with a good AM3+ board. I guess we won't see those until the processor launches . . . on my birthday (Sept 19). : )

I'd have to agree. There's just too many platforms out now. I'll stick with LGA 1366 until I see what the new Ivy Bridge brings to the table.

I agree too. 1366, 1155, 1156 and now 2011. 4 sockets for one chip manufacturer is dumb even with the 1366 going away.

Remember the days when most chips from AMD and Intel and Cyrix were still on the same socket 7?

How about upgrade to 970 ? (cost less than P67 + 2600K)
970 oc result very good too. I have seen 4.2-4.4ghz on 24/7 system with good air or wc.
4.2ghz of 970 can out performance any 2600K high oc our there.

Afaict the 970 is only worthwhile if you are running tasks (like video encoding) that can actually use the extra two cores.

I agree too. 1366, 1155, 1156 and now 2011. 4 sockets for one chip manufacturer is dumb even with the 1366 going away.

Remember the days when most chips from AMD and Intel and Cyrix were still on the same socket 7?
Yes - I remember!

Getting too old to even know all of these different damn sockets. Still on the wait for 2011 year and socket.

Back