Worthwhile mobo swap?

Etherton

Will Bang for Poof
Would there be any benefit to swapping my current motherboard out for this one? I've not been overly impressed with the MSI and 6700k combo. Upgraded from a Asus Gene and 4770k system and the performance increase has been underwhelming.

Looking at a ASUS ROG Maximus IX Formula LGA1151

Currently have a MSI Enthuastic Gaming Intel Z170A

The rest of my system is in my signature. Also, pondering swapping out my Titan X (Maxwell) for a 1080Ti. Would love to hear thoughts on that as well.

Might just be a bit stir-crazy and feel the need to tinker with the system. Thanks everyone!

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
What exactly are you expecting in a CPU upgrade? Even an OC 2500K is fine for pretty much all games above shitty 1080p.

If you're looking for a real upgrade you'll notice in everything you do, focus on

Monitor / VR
Audio
GPU
Storage Capacity / Backup Solutions
Chair
Desk
Peripherals
Etc (to include CPU, RAM and anything not mentioned above)

Last edited:
If you're looking for better overclocking, it is highly unlikely the Maximus will be any better. If you're looking for gaming performance increases, a motherboard upgrade will not do anything. Put your money towards GPU upgrades instead.

Sounds like the marketing departments have done their homework. :D

Save your cash for a 5 TB SSD. (y)

Would there be any benefit to swapping my current motherboard out for this one? I've not been overly impressed with the MSI and 6700k combo. Upgraded from a Asus Gene and 4770k system and the performance increase has been underwhelming.

The rest of my system is in my signature. Also, pondering swapping out my Titan X (Maxwell) for a 1080Ti. Would love to hear thoughts on that as well.

Might just be a bit stir-crazy and feel the need to tinker with the system. Thanks everyone!

If you think the upgrade from the 4770K to the 6700K was underwhelming, you won't be whelmed going to a 7700K. That's less of an upgrade than what you did before. I'm not sure what if any overclock you have now, but I don't think you are going to get a whole lot more out of the Maximus IX Formula. I haven't seen too many differences going from one Z170 motherboard to the next, or any difference between overclocking on Z270. It's a waste of money to make the switch. Now, if you want the extra features you get on the Maximus IX Formula then that's another discussion but don't expect more CPU performance with either your existing CPU or a shiny new Kaby Lake processor.

Now, switching from a Titan X (Maxwell) to a 1080Ti should be a decent upgrade depending on the resolution you game at. It's almost certainly an upgrade regardless, but higher resolutions will show an increased benefits over something like 1080P. I'm running dual Titan X (Maxwell) cards in SLI and I'm switching to a pair of 1080Ti's as soon as I can get my hands on a pair of decent non-reference cards.

Thanks for the info everyone!

Now, switching from a Titan X (Maxwell) to a 1080Ti should be a decent upgrade depending on the resolution you game at. It's almost certainly an upgrade regardless, but higher resolutions will show an increased benefits over something like 1080P. I'm running dual Titan X (Maxwell) cards in SLI and I'm switching to a pair of 1080Ti's as soon as I can get my hands on a pair of decent non-reference cards.

What do you think the resale value is on a Titan Xm, original box, cooler and w/ EK-FC Waterblock? If you were planning on water-cooling, which 1080Ti would you be looking at?

Thanks for the info everyone!

What do you think the resale value is on a Titan Xm, original box, cooler and w/ EK-FC Waterblock? If you were planning on water-cooling, which 1080Ti would you be looking at?

I have no idea to both questions. I don't water cool my GPUs anymore. I upgrade too often for that. After replacing over a half dozen water cooled EVGA 680i SLI motherboards broke me of ever wanting to do custom water cooling again.

I'd recommend the code version unless you need the water cooling on it. Same board.

Out of curisoity, why did you upgrade in the first place?

An overclocked 4770k is pretty much just as fast as a 6700k, and in games, they are literally identical.

As for your question, a motherboard swap won't do much in the way of changing your computing experience. As others have pointed out, if gaming is your primary priority, put your money in a new GPU.

An overclocked 4770k is pretty much just as fast as a 6700k, and in games, they are literally identical.

As for your question, a motherboard swap won't do much in the way of changing your computing experience. As others have pointed out, if gaming is your primary priority, put your money in a new GPU.

I noticed a huge difference going from my 4770k to 7700k. But I also switched from 850 EVO 1TB to 960 EVO m.2. So speeds were a lot faster. But the computer was much much faster. I mean its like going from a spinning disk to SSD feel.

Christmas upgrade. Passed down current system and to my son... his i7 920/EVGA Classified x58 combo was getting a bit dated for the new games. Built him a system around my old 4770k/Asus Gene VI.

Well, and I got an upgrade too....

Back