Worthless NIC

iceman3083

n00b
Hello,
I have a computer thats not functioning as it should. The Integrated NIC and audio don't seem to work. They stopped functioning after our power went out. Windows doesnt seem to detect them anymore. The mobo is an msi 875p- neo i have no idea what the problem is and i need help. If anyone has any suggestions or input i would really appreciate it.

Yea thats the first thing i tried, windows wont detect them. I even went as far as reinstalling windows still nothing.

1) How did the power go out?
2) Is your computer plugged into a UPS/surge protector?

Could be they got fried somehow.

Most likely they went poof and the magic smoke escaped after that surge. If it's still under warranty, RMA, if not, get a cheap NIC and cheap soundcard (unless you want a good one, even though Audigy 1s and 2s are pretty cheap now), and you're set.

movax said:
Most likely they went poof and the magic smoke escaped after that surge. If it's still under warranty, RMA, if not, get a cheap NIC and cheap soundcard (unless you want a good one, even though Audigy 1s and 2s are pretty cheap now), and you're set.

Yea thats pretty much what i was thinking, the funny thing is the lights on the NIC still turn on. Oh well thanks for the replys guys

yeah if the power went out the bios could have reset to minimal settings. Make sure the onboard stuffs are enabled in the bios. Usually under "integrated peripherals".

I feel like a dumbass, enabling the integrated devices in the bios did the trick. shoulda been the first thing i looked at. thanks fellas

You could check in device manager and see if it's still listed in there. If it's not or it has an exlamation point it's damaged or the drivers arnt right. It was probably fried when the power went out though.

iceman3083 said:
I feel like a dumbass, enabling the integrated devices in the bios did the trick. shoulda been the first thing i looked at. thanks fellas

:D Glad it was something so simple.

Back