• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Worth WC'ing my nForce4 chipset?

[k]ar|

Gawd
Joined
Jun 17, 2002
Messages
561
I'm been running my new rig (see sig) for a while on stock cooling, just to make sure everything is OK, and to see how far the RAM will go (250 @ 3-3-3-8 1T, 2.75v so far).

I have noticed that when running at low CPU multi's, and despite the heatpipe cooler, the NB is getting very hot indeed - too hot to touch sometimes.

Will it help my OC at all (when I get my Vapo fired up) to whip off the heat pipe and replace it with a DangerDen A8N chipset cooler? I already have the bits for WC'ing my 7800's, so it will be pretty simple to add in a chipset block after the VGA blocks.

Thanks in advance!

[k]
 
Cheaper and easier route, is just have a 120mm fan blow over it. I did that for my dfi board, and it dropped NB temps by 6c. I;ll probably get andother 4-5c temp drop when I take the stock hsf off and give it a quick lap job, and some as5. Its up to you, but most have agreed that good airflow is just as good.
 
SpoogeMonkey said:
Cheaper and easier route, is just have a 120mm fan blow over it. I did that for my dfi board, and it dropped NB temps by 6c. I;ll probably get andother 4-5c temp drop when I take the stock hsf off and give it a quick lap job, and some as5. Its up to you, but most have agreed that good airflow is just as good.

completely agree. That or get a Zalman passive heatsink.
 
Thanks for the info. Sounds in retrospect a much simpler solution.

When you say to install a fan, I take it you mean one which blows over the "radiator" end of the heatpipe?

Thanks again!

[k]
 
Waste of time + money. Just get a nice aftermarket heatsink... such as a thermalright NB1-C, or the swiftech 159.
 
Back
Top