Worth Upgrading?

Namakan

Gawd
I've been hearing a lot online lately about how people really love these high refresh rate monitors, and how smooth everything is. I've been curious about upgrading my older monitor, but I'm not sure if the difference would be worth it.

I'm looking at this monitor after shopping around for a bit.

I'm currently using this monitor from 2009 or so. Would the newer monitor be something worth getting or should I stay with what I have?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I've been hearing a lot online lately about how people really love these high refresh rate monitors, and how smooth everything is. I've been curious about upgrading my older monitor, but I'm not sure if the difference would be worth it.

I'm looking at this monitor after shopping around for a bit.

I'm currently using this monitor from 2009 or so. Would the newer monitor be something worth getting or should I stay with what I have?

High refresh rates really vary person to person. It depends on what you value out of what you do with your computer.

I am in particular am super sensitive to higher refresh rates.. Its hard to live without it at this point (at work). But others value the superior color reproduction and viewing angles of an IPS or VA panel.

If you do any significant amount of gaming, i cannot understate the great feeling that 144hz/120hz gives.

Even if you don't game alot, i really enjoy how snappy everything is on my ROG swift compared to the other 3 monitors... its really not even close. If you're sensitive to it, its akin to upgrading from an SSD.

However, if you don't play games but want to upgrade your panel.. I'd look into a higher resolution and larger panel.

Take all this with a grain of salt, i am biased. =p

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
High refresh rates really vary person to person. It depends on what you value out of what you do with your computer.

I am in particular am super sensitive to higher refresh rates.. Its hard to live without it at this point (at work). But others value the superior color reproduction and viewing angles of an IPS or VA panel.

If you do any significant amount of gaming, i cannot understate the great feeling that 144hz/120hz gives.

Even if you don't game alot, i really enjoy how snappy everything is on my ROG swift compared to the other 3 monitors... its really not even close. If you're sensitive to it, its akin to upgrading from an SSD.

However, if you don't play games but want to upgrade your panel.. I'd look into a higher resolution and larger panel.

Take all this with a grain of salt, i am biased. =p

I use my PC mainly for gaming. Are the colors on these faster TN panels total garbage? Or are the "acceptable" for a non photo editor? Would the colors be same, better or worse than the panel I'm currently using? If its same or better I think I'd go for the upgrade

If you mainly game on your PC then I'd say this is worth it for the higher refresh rate, especially if you've been living with 60hz this whole time then you will absolutely feel the difference. As for how good the colors are, well....some people will always bash TN panels no matter what when it comes to color. But I am personally not bothered by the lackluster colors and I use an ASUS VG248QE which, judging from what I've read, is probably the worst monitor there is when it comes to color. If you do plan to play newer titles though you may need to upgrade from the 5850 as that may not do the monitor much justice.

If you mainly game on your PC then I'd say this is worth it for the higher refresh rate, especially if you've been living with 60hz this whole time then you will absolutely feel the difference. As for how good the colors are, well....some people will always bash TN panels no matter what when it comes to color. But I am personally not bothered by the lackluster colors and I use an ASUS VG248QE which, judging from what I've read, is probably the worst monitor there is when it comes to color. If you do plan to play newer titles though you may need to upgrade from the 5850 as that may not do the monitor much justice.

Oh my sigs old. Im on a 4770k and a GTX 770 now, that's more than enough I'd asume

Oh my sigs old. Im on a 4770k and a GTX 770 now, that's more than enough I'd asume

Yeah. People online (especially recently) are really hating on TN colors as a whole.. its not that big of a deal and the speed is an infinitely more valuable trade off to those of us who notice it.

They don't pop as much, but the truth is most of us aren't graphic artists, and a TN panel that runs at 144 frames per second is alot more enjoyable to us than something that runs at 60 frames per second but has the colors that are more accurate.

Its really a matter of what your priorities are. If you have the budget for it, i'd really recommend the ROG swift. it has a lot of real estate, its fast as balls, and its the highest quality TN panel that i have ever used (in terms of color and viewing angles)

:] Good luck OP.

Its really a matter of what your priorities are. If you have the budget for it, i'd really recommend the ROG swift. it has a lot of real estate, its fast as balls, and its the highest quality TN panel that i have ever used (in terms of color and viewing angles)

:] Good luck OP.

The ROG swift is definitely out of the budget. I was looking around 250 USD and I think the Benq I linked in the original post seems to be the best monitor at that price point from the research, unless anyone can show me one Ive missed.

I use my PC mainly for gaming. Are the colors on these faster TN panels total garbage? Or are the "acceptable" for a non photo editor? Would the colors be same, better or worse than the panel I'm currently using? If its same or better I think I'd go for the upgrade

It depends on what you are used to, I don't think going from the s2409w to a current 120hz TN panel will bother you too much in terms of colors.

From what i've heard tho, once you go 120hz, you can't go back. I guess that's the same when it comes to colors. You can always go to Best Buy or something to look at the monitor first.

Back