• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Worth upgrading?

Cow Art

n00b
Joined
Oct 3, 2004
Messages
5
Hi guys,

I currently have a Dell XPS M170 gaming laptop.
Pentium M 760
2GB RAM
Geforce Go 7800GTX

Now, I live in South Africa, and we don't get the XPS here. So it's a pretty rare item.
Should I sell it now while I can still get a good price for it, or keep it?
If I sell it, I'd probably be able to get something slightly faster, but it won't be a major improvement. Core 2 Duo and maybe an X1900, basically.
I won't be able to get a similar monitor, though. This 17" wide (1920x1200) is just lovely.

Advice?
 
you milage might vary.

why upgrade when your laptop is still fairly new and spend more money?
unless ofcourse you have more money and want a larger e-penis...

you can probably use your laptop for another year without any problems.
 
Megalomaniac said:
you milage might vary.

why upgrade when your laptop is still fairly new and spend more money?
unless ofcourse you have more money and want a larger e-penis...

you can probably use your laptop for another year without any problems.

The thing is, I want to go back to a desktop rig.
And for what I can sell this laptop for, I could buy a faster system without spending any extra money.
The problem is, if I upgrade now, I probably won't be able to upgrade again for a while.
But, if I don't upgrade, the laptop's value will diminish and I won't get nearly as much for it.
 
Cow Art said:
The thing is, I want to go back to a desktop rig.
And for what I can sell this laptop for, I could buy a faster system without spending any extra money.
The problem is, if I upgrade now, I probably won't be able to upgrade again for a while.
But, if I don't upgrade, the laptop's value will diminish and I won't get nearly as much for it.

ooooo thats a quandry!

I'd say sell the laptop while it still has significant worth, then purchase all the parts to an excellent gaming system with one exception. Go midrange on the videocard. The only reason I mention this is because you said that you won't be able to upgrade again for a while, and with DX10 cards arriving in the coming year as well as G80/R600(whatever it is) coming I think it'd be best to save some of the cash for that upgrade.

That way you've got the best of both worlds; you've got the newer faster system, with the upgrade to a new vid card in the future.
 
What would you use your computer for if you were to get a desktop?

Also, why go midrange on the gfx card? I have heard that DX10 is 1 year+ away. If he is gonna be gaming, I don't see why...
 
gotchya said:
What would you use your computer for if you were to get a desktop?

Also, why go midrange on the gfx card? I have heard that DX10 is 1 year+ away. If he is gonna be gaming, I don't see why...

I don't only mean for DX10, I just mean for the next refresh of cards; he specified that if he buys a desktop now that he won't be able to upgrade for a while, so I took that to mean for a long while. Therefore I think that it'd make the most sense to go with something less expensive so he can upgrade for the next refresh.
 
Back
Top