• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Worth upgrading to X800XT?

DarkDonut

Limp Gawd
Joined
Apr 26, 2001
Messages
302
I have a 9800 Pro atm, and it runs everything awesomely with one exception......Far Cry. I can crank up the graphics to 1280x1024 Medium AA and full details and still "play" the game, but my mouse feels lagged and the fps will dip in heavy areas (combat, populated, etc). My specs are in my sig.

Is the X800XT going to have an AGP part btw? All I've seen or heard about it is that it's a PCI-X part, is this true?
 
You have a good setup with great RAM. You are exactly the kind of person that would benefit greatly with this upgrade as though your CPU will definitely pose as a bottleneck, your rig will still allow the XT: PE to flex its muscles!!
Also what are your ram timings?? You have good ram that is capable of 2,2,2,5 timings (at low overclocks), which alone would yield significant gains to your CPU's number crunching capabilities.
 
not sure I'll have to check, they're probably set low for best performance but I haven't messed with it since back in October.
 
If your content now, just stay where you are, and think about upgrading later...

If you are like the rest of us go ahead and upgrade :D

But from what I have seen is that the AGP cards are:

x800 Pro and x800 XT PE

While PCI-E are:

x800 XT and x800 XT PE

As for your CPU being the bottleneck, I wouldnt count on that just yet, there isnt too much faster out right now, and I would defiently refrain from upgrading that. If it is true that a 3.0 bottlenecks a x800 XT PE, then I think it will be at least another half of year before we see a processor that can.
 
I've been throwing around the idea of upgrading to an X800 pro. Right now my GeForce 3 Ti 500 is practically useless with most of the games that I want to play. I bought the GF3 as an upgrade for my last computer when It was about half way through its lifespan, and now about half way through the life of my current computer it needs to be upgraded. But I fear that this "half-life upgrade" problem will persist if I go with a 9800 pro (flashed to an XT hopefully).

So would it seem reasonable to go with an X800 pro?
 
Don't buy a 9800 now, that's ridiculous. I saw a guy with a 9800 in his arms in frys yesterday--I was tempted to start to tell him not to do it--it might just be the most impatient move you could make at this time. Unless you're building computers for someone else, only an idiot would buy a 9800 right now.
 
We have yet to see if there will be a normal X800 XT or if it just turned into the X800XT-PE at release time. Hopefully they fill the line up with the XT and have a wider range of cards (price wise).
 
I don't think the X800XT has the Rage Theatre chip. I think the X800XT just has the 16 pipelines and a slightly higher clock speed than the Pro. Whereas the X800XT-PE has the theatre chip and the highest clock speeds that ATi is offering right now.

I know X800Pro's don't have the Rage Theatre chip at all.
 
Sir-Fragalot said:
Whereas the X800XT-PE has the theatre chip

That alone is worth not getting a plain XT even if it has 16 pipes. I hope the HDTV support is improved on the X800
 
It is my understanding that all the X800 series supports HDTV. With and without the Rage Theatre chip. Which I think all that does it add some Vivo functions to the card.

I just looked at the box for my X800Pro and it states on the side panel that the X800Pro supports HDTV. So I think that the Vivo functions are all you get out of the X800XT-PE. Other than increased clock speeds over the regular X800XT.
 
As someone lucky enough to have a X800Pro (I actually purchased one off of the shelf at Microcenter), I really believe there is not much need for the 800XT unless you play at 1600 x 1200. You will be suprised just how fast the 800pro really is. When both cards become widely available I think that will be realized. I would save $100.00 and go for the Pro first.

Scott
 
Diseaseboy said:
As someone lucky enough to have a X800Pro (I actually purchased one off of the shelf at Microcenter)

You suck! I went to the Microcenter in Tustin to see for myself and they were all gone!!!!!!!
 
would this rig be fine with a X800XT?

-p4 2.4c @ 3.5ghz
-abit is7
-corsair xms3500 512 ddr ram

!?~!?~!?~!?~!~!~!?~!?~
 
br1zz0 said:
would this rig be fine with a X800XT?

-p4 2.4c @ 3.5ghz
-abit is7
-corsair xms3500 512 ddr ram

!?~!?~!?~!?~!~!~!?~!?~

ya, really good. :) You need another 512 mem tho.
 
I'm definately picking up the X800XT-PE now. I read as many reviews I could find. I realized that in just about every situation, the XT-PE would give a 1up on resolution over the X800Pro. This is going to make a difference down the road. Once these cards become more dated, I'll have an extra resolution to work with, so by the time the X800Pro is getting to the games that it needs to run in 1024x768 to have good frames, the XT-PE will still be in the 1280x1024 range :D Make sense? I think it does.
 
true, the X800XT is PCI-X specific from the looks of it. X800XT-PE is both AGP and PCI-X i think at some point.
 
Back
Top