Worth upgrading from a i5 750 right now?

Frighn

n00b
Hello.

I'm currently using a Asrock P55 Extreme motherboard, i5 750 and 4GB RAM.
It does not excactly run bad in any games and it is not overclocked at all so I don't really have any plans on upgrading.
I do have an Intel 520 SSD and my motherboard does not have SATA 3 so that would be one reason to upgrade the motherboard but then I would have to upgrade CPU and RAM of course.

How is the i5 750 compared to more recent CPUs?
Is it worth upgrading everything just for Sata 3? Or won't I notice a big difference?

I have an i5 760 & am waiting until Haswell. I however am doing a GPU/RAM upgrade next week to prepare for that, but unless you do crazy encoding or files transfer I would wait. RAM is cheap so why not get ahead of the curve there & if you haven't overclocked the processor, get a good cooling setup & do that.

Okay! Is there any info on when Haswell might be released?
Hmm yeah I could do some overclocking, never done it before so I guess i'll have to read some guides.
I have a Corsair H50 cooler and the idle temps are around 35°C which I think is pretty good.

Hmm yeah I could do some overclocking, never done it before so I guess i'll have to read some guides.
I have a Corsair H50 cooler and the idle temps are around 35°C which I think is pretty good.

Haswell is projectrd q2 of 2013
You have an overclocking board, dude,(somewhat)..Y don't you overclock?

This is [H]. You can always gain by upgrading.

Having said that, depending on your usage and system requirements, you may or may not gain what you're looking for.

If you're just gaming, that i5-750 will hold you til Haswell just fine. However, if you have not already, OVERCLOCK THAT BITCH! They OC pretty well, not like SB or IB, but still well enough to make it worth your while. Your cooling solution is more than sufficient, as long as you do not try to shoot for north of 4.5ghz.

Yeah I might try to overclock since I've never done it before. Let's say I were to overclock it to 3.0 or something like that to start with. How much do you think that would increase the temperatures? And would I notice it in games? Stock clock is 2.66GHz.

At stock voltages, your temps will not rise a lot. It is when you start cranking voltages you see rise in heat.
2.66 is what i7-920 start at, and they routinely hit 4.0ghz (D0 stepping) or higher. I have heard and seen a lot of i5-750s hitting 4.0ghz on decent cooling. So you should be fine with your H50.

My brother has an i5-750 in a [Strike=Option]Gigabyte[/s] MSI P55-GD55 and he's running at 4.1Ghz with a Cooler Master Hyper 212+. The overclock was fairly easy. His temps are a little high but he's running two HD 5770 cards and those things turn his room into a sauna. I know when he didn't have those cards he was idling at around 34C, now at around 42C. Never goes over 65C while gaming, though.

He just bought a HD 7870 so hopefully that'll help his heat issue out some.

I think it'd be easy to take it to 4Ghz with your setup. And the difference was fairly noticeable, I remember when he got that thing around when they came out. He's also waiting for the Haswells.

Edit: MSI, not Gigabyte. My mistake.

Last edited:
Grab a CM Hyper 212+ and overclock it to 3.8-4.0Ghz, that's a huge 50% increase in clockspeed for like $30. Then when Haswell comes out do a whole system upgrade. Just make sure you read the Nehalem overclocking guides, it's different to Sandy/Ivy Bridge overclocking and slightly more complicated (but still pretty straightforward).

You'll notice little to no difference between SATA 2 and 3 with SSDs unless you frequently need 500MB/s sequential reads/writes.

I idle around 40c overclocked to 3.8 with an h60.

Current i5 750 user here - I'm waiting for Haswell before even considering an upgrade :p
Honestly, my 'upgrade' to a Catleap 2B (from a slow Dell 2405) has been the most significant upgrade for me. I was fortunate to already have a GTX580, so I wasn't unprepared for that.

And I think Killing2Live was referring to an MSI board haha, but all the same.

I went from a i5 760 @ 4.2GHz to a i7 3770K @ 4.2GHz last month. The difference was massive, didn't think Battlefield 3 would gain so much. But I guess the online mode is quite CPU intense.

I'm still rocking my i5-750 here too. I'm about to upgrade only because my wife wants a new computer "now", so I'm handing down my cpu and motherboard to her, and getting IB probably... I wish she could wait for Haswell though.

i went from a i5-750 @3.3Ghz to a i5-2500K @4.3Ghz (lol both my i5-750 & i5-2500k are terrible overclockers and the above is basically as high as I can get either of them at sane temps / volts...FML)

i was a improvement but not a OMG WTF PONIES!! upgrade like going from a C2Duo to the i5-750 was.

i upgraded over a year ago now i guess... mainly cause i wanted my i5-750 for my ESXi server....

personally if i was you and you waited this lone I'd wait for Haswell.

Simply upgrade on the RAMS and parts! Then OC the system and wait for Haswell. And Newegg is not always the cheapest.

Probably not. You might want to try overclocking if you haven't tried already.

Cool beans. I'm @ 3.8Ghz and ordered a 780 instead of the planned Haswell upgrade. Did I do well? ;)

My buddy who has an i5-750 was having a heck of a time in BF3 with stuttering on multi-player. I overclocked it for him to 3.6ghz (I think stock was 2.66?) and it was a lot better, works fine with SLI 470's. I would still upgrade eventually just to get the features of the newer motherboards.

^^ I have 4 of the Samsung UDIMMS for 16 GB total...Ill change my sig later.

Yeah, Ill need to wait another month or so before I can do Haswell. Oddly enough the SATA 3 is what I'm most looking forward too.

Thanks for all the replies...now I just need to sell my shitty 660's. Who wants a crappy solution for gaming! I mean who wants some SLI?!

I briefly had a 2600K with a p67 board and the thing I miss most is the overall snappiness with loading of apps from the ssd.

I'm SOOO not looking forward to swapping out parts and reinstalling windows...I'm getting old and lazy. ;)

3.8 is best I can do to keep things @ or below 70C. I got a terrible chip + quiet case w/ only 3 fans.

Revived!

You guys really think I'm suffering in an i5 760 for BF3?

I had an i5 [email protected] with a GTX460 about a year ago... Jumping to a 4.5GHz 3570k did provide a much better gameplay in BF3 than what I expected. Especially on big, open 64 player maps, the extra horsepower (even with a relatively low power video card) on the CPU end DOES help quite a bit. Haswell at 4.2 should make for quite a big upgrade for you.

^^ I have 4 of the Samsung UDIMMS for 16 GB total...Ill change my sig later.

Yeah, Ill need to wait another month or so before I can do Haswell. Oddly enough the SATA 3 is what I'm most looking forward too.

Thanks for all the replies...now I just need to sell my shitty 660's. Who wants a crappy solution for gaming! I mean who wants some SLI?!

I briefly had a 2600K with a p67 board and the thing I miss most is the overall snappiness with loading of apps from the ssd.

I'm SOOO not looking forward to swapping out parts and reinstalling windows...I'm getting old and lazy. ;)

Yeah, SATA III is really nice. Whats wrong with the 660s? My SLI 660's were awesome, never had a single issue with them and they overclocked like a beast. When I moved to a Titan it was a downgrade in terms of speed.

I had an i5 [email protected] with a GTX460 about a year ago... Jumping to a 4.5GHz 3570k did provide a much better gameplay in BF3 than what I expected. Especially on big, open 64 player maps, the extra horsepower (even with a relatively low power video card) on the CPU end DOES help quite a bit. Haswell at 4.2 should make for quite a big upgrade for you.
Bummer. That's simultaneously what I want hear and not what I wanna hear. :D Thanks for telling me straight. So you retained the 460...only upgrade was the chip? What exactly made the experience better in BF3?

Yeah, SATA III is really nice. Whats wrong with the 660s? My SLI 660's were awesome, never had a single issue with them and they overclocked like a beast. When I moved to a Titan it was a downgrade in terms of speed.
My friend (2500K @ 4.5Ghz) and I both went 660 SLI. Both of us have massive GPU usage issues in BF3. It varies from 0 to 90% scaling based on map, map size, player count, etc. Borderlands 2, GRID 1/2, Tomb Raider Underworld, Trackmania...all major fails w/ crappy (if any) scaling.

Last edited:
My friend (2500K @ 4.5Ghz) and I both went 660 SLI. Both of us have massive GPU usage issues in BF3. It varies from 0 to 90% scaling based on map, map size, player count, etc. Borderlands 2, GRID 2, Tomb Raider Underworld, Trackmania...all major fails w/ crappy scaling.

Weird, never heard of anyone having issues with those games with any SLI setup. I had no problems with BF3 or borderlands 2 with a half dozen SLI builds. I don't play the other games though.

Weird, never heard of anyone having issues with those games with any SLI setup. I had no problems with BF3 or borderlands 2 with a half dozen SLI builds. I don't play the other games though.
GTX 680 SLI Battlefield 3 Low GPU Usage..

BF3 CPU bottleneck? Really?

I get nearly perfect scaling in the new Tomb Raider and Crysis 2, so when it works, it's great. But too often it did not for me. BF3 and GRID 2 have crazy framerate hills and valleys. I had another friend 2/ a 680 jump into a server w/ me and look @ different areas of the game. He had a higher FPS almost 90% of the time. GRID 2 is a stuttery mess.

70C CoreTemp? That's nothing. You could easily bump it up to 75C.
I'm not sure I'm comfortable w/ that. Then I'd have to dial it down for LANs. But thanks, I'll look into maybe bringing it up to 4Ghz.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I'm comfortable w/ that. Then I'd have to dial it down for LANs. But thanks, I'll look into maybe bringing it up to 4Ghz.
Fair enough. What TIM are you using right now? Could probably use something like IC Diamond to lower it a couple of degrees to buy you headroom for a 4GHz OC.

At some point over the last 2 years I became hardware lazy. The thought of unplugging my pc, removing my heatsink, cleaning the goo, reapplying the goo, reinstalling the heatsink, plugging my pc back in...

If I had to guess, it's either Arctic Cooling MX-2, 3, or 4, lol. Now a few years ago, I would lap a chip and sink @ A LAN party. But now I'm a lazy old fart.

I've had it @ 4.2 Ghz before, but that was back when I had my Stacker 810 w/ 9 fans, lol.

Bummer. That's simultaneously what I want hear and not what I wanna hear. :D Thanks for telling me straight. So you retained the 460...only upgrade was the chip? What exactly made the experience better in BF3?

I held on to the GTX 460 for another 6 months until I found a great deal on 7950 to satisfy my 4xMSAA bug.... ;)

But for those 6 months on 460, the average BF3 MP gaming experience was definitely better..... They were still bottleneck scenarios where the GPU showed its age (my tank exploding with me in it :eek:, or somebody clusterfucked a hallway with smoke grenades), but with the more powerful CPU, these slowdowns didn't last as long, and I was still able to somewhat game on without the game turning into a slide show as it did with 760... Load time have definitely improved as well. Remember, it's not just a CPU you're swapping... You're going to a faster, more efficient platform in general. I wouldn't hesitate at all if I was in your shoes.

PS. Some good info here: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1654043 , especially this guys post: http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1038066148&postcount=16

WOW! Thanks so much!

Also, lol @ the MSAA bug. I know what you mean. I can't stand playing online shooters w/ jaggie fences acting like bad guys!

I'm in a similar boat. i5 750 at 3.8

I'm about to build my GF a computer and figured I'd upgrade mine and hand the parts down to her.

Is the Haswell the best path for me or is there better bang-for-the-buck in the previous generation (and what is that, I've been out of the loop)?

Just go Haswell unless you upgrade a lot. It's going to more be a pain looking for unused/bnew 1155 boards with a good feature set if the board you buy brand new now gives up after a few years.

Back