worth the upgrade?

AmongTheChosenX

Supreme [H]ardness
I currently have a 4GB OCZ Titanium PC2-6400 Kit:
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=85274&prodlist=celebros

but zipzoomfly has a sweet deal on an OCZ Reaper 4GB PC2-8500 Kit:
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10008035

What do you think? should I go for it?

I have an e8400 (xeon e3110 to be specific), and I haven't been able to try and go over a 450mhz FSB because of memory limitations.

but again, I dont know if my e8400 can even do a 500mhz FSB.

what do you think?

I do not think so, remember if you are overclocking your processor you are over clocking the board as well, and the memory how far can you go is a factor as well. I know on most motherboards that as you overclock the processor the memory steps up as well. There is a way around that so as you step up the processor the memory will not go above its rated speed. 1066 memory is already overclocked, so you probably want to stay there.

Remember that as you overclock, you increase the voltage , which of course increases heat. 500 mhz, you would need special cooling for the processor as well for the chipset on the motherboard, if the motherboard could handle the voltages required.

I have the older e6850, so I have the same stepping you do 333mhz, the most I can get my board to do stable with no problems is 400 mhz on an x38 chipset.

What are you trying to get to 500mhz for, gaming. If you are trying to squeeze out more fps, are the games you play SNMP capable, if they are, then get a quad core and overclock it like Q9650, easily to 3.6 or higher.

Unless you have one hell of a liquid cooling system, I do not believe you will ever see 500mhz, unless you have liquid Nitrogen: if can afford that then just upgrade, its cheaper. LOL

By the way I am a muskin memory fan, good deals on it at newegg.

My two cents,

If you are talking about doing this on a 680i, it may be a good buy, especially if you can later sell your old RAM to finance the deal. Remember, you can run in UNLINKED mode which means you could cap out both the CPU and the memory speed.

If you are talking about doing this on a 680i, it may be a good buy, especially if you can later sell your old RAM to finance the deal. Remember, you can run in UNLINKED mode which means you could cap out both the CPU and the memory speed.

yeah i thought about doing that with the DDR2-800 i have currently, but i've heard it limits your overclock more than just running in sync mode.

is this true?

Back