Worth spending $ on another CPU cooler?

Able4

n00b
I'm probably going to get a amd 3700+, i've heard that most of the time stock fans and heat sinks and somewhat ok but sometimes they suck. My question is that should I drop another $40 on and artic cooling cpu fan or just use the stock fan. I'm buying arctic silver 5 but wasn't sure as far as hs&f. I'm don't think i'm ever going to overclock the processor, maybe a little later on. This rig's more for games. What do you guys think. Please post like if this has already been asked.

First if you don't plan to oc, there is no point to upgrade heatsinks.

If you really want to upgrade your hsf and want to save money, find a OEM AMD dual core hsf off ebay usually under 20 shipped.

the oem amd dual core hsf has heatpipes and performance is equal if not better then thermaltake xp-90.

I have my 3700+ overclocked 400mhz on the stock HSF. So I'm at 2.6ghz now. My load temp is about 41c and my idle temp is about 29c. This is also just using the stock thermal pad. I am going to be switching to the newer dual core heatsink fan with the heat pipes along with some AS5. I'll let you know how that goes when I make the switch.

amd ati FO SHO said:
First if you don't plan to oc, there is no point to upgrade heatsinks.
Reducing heat reduces some stress put on the components.

JediK said:
I have my 3700+ overclocked 400mhz on the stock HSF. So I'm at 2.6ghz now. My load temp is about 41c and my idle temp is about 29c. This is also just using the stock thermal pad. I am going to be switching to the newer dual core heatsink fan with the heat pipes along with some AS5. I'll let you know how that goes when I make the switch.

do you live in siberia? antarctica? what in the world is your ambient temp?
yeesh... my cpu hits about 47 C with the TT big typhoon at about 70 F ambient and both cores full load..
idle is around 28 C

amd ati FO SHO said:
performance is equal if not better then thermaltake xp-90.

thermalright

and my 3000 venice at 2.7 never even went over 35C with stock hsf then again it would have needed a lot more volts to run stable the stupid neo 4 f topped out at 8.3% overvolt :mad:

Back