Worth overclocking my E8500 for games?

Thorn2008

n00b
Joined
Apr 26, 2008
Messages
18
Hope you guys can help me out here, I am not new to overclocking but am new to overclocking on the latest hardware which I have invested in! I am running a X38 DQ6 Motherboard, Gigabyte 8800GTS 512 and a E8500. I fiddled around with the bios settings today I noticed some bios controlled overclocking features, one had a Turbo mode and Overdrive settings and there was another which had 5 overclocking settings which according to the info displayed are used when the computer detects that it needs more CPU juice.

Now firstly when I tried a couple of settings and exited the Bios the computer promptly turned itself off and restarted, is this normal? Secondly is it worth mucking around with any of these auto overclocking Bios features or is it just better off leaving them on normal and upping my FSB to overclock instead i.e manually overclocking, it is hard to know what exactly these auto boosting features are doing to the PC?

So basically is it better to use Gigabytes auto overclocking features or just do it manually?

Sorry to sound noob all these new Bios options arn't well explained in my manual!
 
Always best to Maually set your OC settings, so you know what to tweak to achieve STABILITY.

Many gamers with the lastest video cards say that OC above 3.8 ghz does not produce performance gain because bottlenecked at that point by the GPU. That may change with the new GPUs comming out this summer:)
 
First, make sure you have the proper hardware for overclocking. It does you no good trying to up the settings if you have a stock cooler and a really bad heat dissipating case. Memory bandwidth is also an issue, if you have crappy ram, it could adversely affect the OC potential.

Second, take a few hours and browse around either [H] or Google for overclocking your chip. It doesn't take that long and its education for you not us. It's better to know what these settings do than have a bunch of members just tell you what settings to put it on and what not.

Third, just because so and so got this high of an OC doesn't mean your setup will, especially with the higher end chips. Just be patient and up the OC incrementally.
 
I am using a Thermaltake Soprano case with 2X180 mm fans, and a Zalman 9500E after-market cooler on the CPU. I am also using Corsair Dominator 1066 Ram with the Heatsinks and fan combo over the top.

Is it normal for the PC to power itself off then restart when I adjust these settings or is it a problem? A mate of mine said that it is meant to do it because the PC is resetting itself to the new values I am changing is this true?

Thanks!
 
This sticky is a great OCing guide. It's normal that the PC restarts. It needs to do this to save and implement the BIOS changes.

Manual OCing is always better than auto and will result in better performance and mroe stability if done right. That HSF and RAM should net you a nice OC. Good luck!
 
This sticky is a great OCing guide. It's normal that the PC restarts. It needs to do this to save and implement the BIOS changes.

Manual OCing is always better than auto and will result in better performance and mroe stability if done right. That HSF and RAM should net you a nice OC. Good luck!

Thanks, I guess I am just being ultra careful I mean my upgrade was a big investment I just don't want to melt my CPU! My CPU idles around 39-41 degrees celsius, under load (after playing Crysis for an hour) it was at 48 degree's celsius, does this seem ok?

I am glad the PC turning off and back on is normal, I freaked out when it first did it ! My old AMD64 X2 system didn't do it so I had no idea!

Thanks!
 
Back
Top