Worth OCing my 7800GT?

Heligrin

Limp Gawd
I just got my eVGA 7800GT CO (n-517) with the 470mhz core clock( only because the day i ordered the 516 was out of stock), but my question is, is it worth trying to oc my GT higher? I hear of the plateau which doesnt matter how high you OC, the frames will still land on that plateau? My temps are 42 idle and ~62 load. Would i even see an increase in performance. I think i need to OC my 3700+ first :). All i can say is i love this 7800GT :eek: :eek:

It wouldn't hurt to try Coolbits and see what it detects as optimum. You might not be able to push it up too much because it already has a decent overclock on it.

Hell yes it's worth oc'ing your 7800gt. It's worth oc'ing anything that can be oc'd :)

If you'd like to be conservative about it, you could always "detect optimal frequencies" using coolbits. Otherwise, go all out, and enjoy :)

i know how to OC :). Coobits actaully auto clocked it only 10 above stock. I really dont care. I get nice enough frames anyways :)

is it worth it? thats something that you are gonna hav to ask yourself, does the card fulfill your gaming needs or watever you use it for? if no, then oc that sucka! :p

I think you should get a better cooler and then OC the hell out of it. It will make more difference to OC the vid card than the CPU.

Since its already clocked at 470 you might not get much more out of it. My GT, with stock cooling, will clock up to ~475Mhz before I see problems during games. And the plateau you mention is real. A chart of performance vs. clock speeds would look like a staircase, as a range of 5 Mhz or so may not give any benefit but once the core is increased even a single Mhz beyond that you'll see a large performance increase. The anandtech review of 7800 series cards describes this concept.

Back