• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Worth it to upgrade?

goldenfrog

Weaksauce
Joined
Dec 3, 2005
Messages
89
I just ordered myself a new MOBO with SATA 3.0Gb/s ports on it. I am currently running 2x80g Seagate sata150/7200/8mb drives in RAIDO. I use the RAID array just for XP. I have other drives for storage, none that are 3.0Gb/s.

I was wondering if I would see any improvement if I replaced my current drives with 2x 3.0Gb/s/7200/16mb drives. Or is my current setup good enough?

Going by just specs it’s twice the throughput and the cache, but will it have any real input on my system?

I can get me 2 WD 160GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s drives shipped for less then $150.

I could take that $150 and put an extra 1g or ram on my new board, if the new drives aren’t going to help any.
 
You're not even close to maxing out your SATA 1.5gb/s interface and "3.0gb/s" drives won't either, so there's no real point in upgrading.

Think of it as SATA 1.5gb/s being 100mph rated tires and 3.0gb/s are 200mph rated tires. Your car (the RAID 0 setup) is going to only be able to go about 60mph. The new drives might be able to go 65mph. Why worry about 200mph rated tires, let alone 100mph rated ones?
 
I have 2 WD 80gb drives in RAID 0. They're 3.0gb/s drives. My old motherboard was only sata 1.5 capable.

I switched to AMD so I had to get a new mobo. The new one is SATA II. Set up my array again... HD Tach scores went up a ton, but real world performance did not. I would only upgrade to SATA II drives if you need the additional storage (getting bigger drives than what you have now).

RAID 0 for me is just because I can. I might notice a difference if I were to do something other than play DoD:S or surf the internet. :D
 
I ordered 2x500g WD drives. I'll stick with the 2x80's in RAID0 for the OS and use the 2x500's to replace my 300g and 320g ata100 drives. I do have room in my case for all six drives but I'm not sure what kinda heat they'll be putting out.
 
Back
Top