Worth it to upgrade from a 7950 right now?

SilverSliver

[H]F Junkie
Just got a 1440p monitor and have it overclocked to 96hz. Will go further, but no real point with the games I am playing - which is mostly BF4 and AC4. Considering that, the 7950's are getting a nice premium right now and I am wondering if it's worth it to upgrade to a 780 or a 780ti at this point? My 7950 is a MSI TF3 with the 7970 PCB, stock voltages does 1100/1600 with a reasonably noisy fan profile keeping it at 74C.

Part of me wants to wait and see what Mantle does, but we just have no idea on timing or performance at this point.

Right now is probably the best time if you want to take your chances getting an unlockable 290.

Right now is probably the best time if you want to take your chances getting an unlockable 290.

290's are selling out though too, and I don't really want to deal with an aftermarket cooler for one. Just don't have the time anymore. I game with headphones mostly now because of the kiddo, but I'd prefer a quieter stock solution that had headroom built in.

Maybe wait for a non-ref 290 or 290x?

I would highly recommend it, due to litecoin miners looking for 7950s. You can probably get 300-400 for it on ebay.

7950 are decently powerful, but then again 7970/280x/290/290x would be the best route IMHO, due to mantle and many upcoming games being optimized for AMD exclusively or at least first primary dibs.

Mantle is going to be a significant game changer that is why so many devs are starting to back it, and many of the industries "fathers" are working with or will be supporting it where they can, the game industry as a whole is quite divided, for so many to back a single project is not a small thing by any means.

Yes the 780 might be a quitter card but the 290s are def the ones to be getting, there is aftermarket cooled ones available/becoming available, and there is quite a few coolers that do support them as it stands, then something like Kraken G10 can be that difference as well :)

If you can sell it for $300-$400 you are doing great as it is a used card and they would be paying near the same price as a new one LOL.

Above 96Hz still can help as it does make it "smoother" and you will never run into that refresh wall, but its your screen.

Back