• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

worth it? - C2D e6300 to Pent e6500

Joined
Jun 27, 2006
Messages
702
First off will my C2D e6300 have any problems playing starcraft 2 on max settings assuming I have an infinitely fast gpu with infinite video RAM?

I read somewhere that the pentium e6300 is 72% faster than the C2D e6300.

If my e6300 is not adequate for playing sc2 on max settings, will the pentium e6500 be able to play sc2 on max?
 
The "Pentium" E6500 is a Core 2 Duo, just not with that name... ;)

The original C2D E6300 is quite old now, and while the "Pentium" E6500 might not seem like it based on clock speed, it'll prove to be far more powerful because a lot more is going on in a single tick of that clock nowadays with all the improvements in processor technology.

I can't say if it'll be wicked evil fast compared to the E6300 in that machine but, the E6500 should definitely give SC2 a kick in the pants compared to the original C2D E6300.

Intel did release a "Pentium" E6300 last year as well so, I hope that's not the one you're speaking of - it's in the same class as the E6500 you're talking about, just a bit slower. If that's the one you mean then no, you're not going to see much difference, but if it's the original Core 2 Duo E6300 from years ago, yes you'll notice a snappier more responsive machine.
 
I'd consider a Q6600 or Q9550 ($150 at microcenter) instead.
 
Just a random thought and I dont know your budget, but if youre near a Microcenter, apparently theyve got a Core 2 Quad Q9550 for $150. If you can afford it, that would be a HUGE upgrade and the last one youd need to make CPU wise for a while.
 
I wasn't able to bite on the microcenter $150 q9550, but I was able to find a used g0 q6600 for $120.
2 questions:
1) is this a fair price for a used g0 q6600? Do I have better options?
2) I can only modestly overclock my processors (because I only have a modest motherboard). Therefore, I am worried about the q6600's stock and slightly oc'd performance. Will a stock 2.4ghz q6600 outperform a stock e6500 at 2.9 ghz (for games)?
 
  1. $120 is around the avg. going rate for a used Q6600, on the lower end of avg., so not a bad deal there.
  2. A Q6600 @ 2.4 should be equal to or better in most games (especially newer games that take advantage of multi cores) than a E6500 @ 2.9, with the exception of older games like World of Warcraft (which has a really old engine, and is based almost solely on processor speed).

I wasn't able to bite on the microcenter $150 q9550, but I was able to find a used g0 q6600 for $120.
2 questions:
1) is this a fair price for a used g0 q6600? Do I have better options?
2) I can only modestly overclock my processors (because I only have a modest motherboard). Therefore, I am worried about the q6600's stock and slightly oc'd performance. Will a stock 2.4ghz q6600 outperform a stock e6500 at 2.9 ghz (for games)?
 
First off will my C2D e6300 have any problems playing starcraft 2 on max settings assuming I have an infinitely fast gpu with infinite video RAM?

I read somewhere that the pentium e6300 is 72% faster than the C2D e6300.

If my e6300 is not adequate for playing sc2 on max settings, will the pentium e6500 be able to play sc2 on max?
I don't know where you read that, but the pentium 6500 is most definitely not 72% faster than your processor. Penryn (the 45nm core2duo) is in general 10% faster than conroe (what you have) at the same clockrate. So if yours is overclocked to 2.8GHz the pentium 6500 will be only slightly faster than what you have now.

Also, SC2 does not utilize four cores. I get about 85% cpu usage on my dual core. So getting a slower 2.4GHz Q6600 would actually make it run worse.

If anything, upgrade your graphics card.
 
Don't forget the cache amount might make a difference, but probably not as much as a new graphics card.
 
A WHILE ago I went from a Core 2 Duo E4400 to Pentium Dual-Core E5300. The E4400 maxed out at 3.2Ghz, the E5300 maxed out at 3.9Ghz(could have gotten more but I was happy). Together with the more efficient core and cooler running processor, it overclocked better and gamed really nice. It was quickly replaced by an Athlon II x3 440 @ 3.8Ghz...but was a HELL of a chip while it lasted....I may still have it.....no wait, gave it to my girlfriend (popped it on a P35 and OC'd to 3.3 Ghz with stock voltages)....I still have an E5200 that was Good for 3.4Ghz (on a craptastic MSI 750i board)...If I find it I'll let you know(that is if you're interested)...I'm sure on a good board (P45, P35, 790i) It'll overclock much higher (example Q8300 on the MSI board wouldn't budge 10mhz, BUT the minute I pop it into a 790i board I saw a SOLID 3.5 Ghz (it's still a pretty crappy chip :( ) with very little voltage....
so yeah the new Wolfdales are pretty bad ass!
 
Back
Top