Worth going SLi @ 1920x1200 with GTX580?

Postmodum

Limp Gawd
One question for those of you who have more experience on this than i have ...

is it worth going SLI with GTX580 with a 1920x1200 resolution? Or... not really ?

I have a GTX 580 Direct CU II from Asus.

I have the possibility to buy one at a great price but ... "the great price" i say is still high of course ... but if worth it i would buy it :p

Just need some input from you guys :)

No, not unless your thinking about surround or larger resolution in the future.

+1, or steroscopic 3D. And yes there are a few games out there where it can make a difference like Metro 2033 and everyone's favorite Crysis but otherwise you simply aren't pushing enough pixels with a single 1080P level display to feel the effect though it will show up in benchmarks.

Definitely not. Apart from that much power being a waste at 1920x1200, there are much better value buys than two 580s at that res. Two 1GB 560s would be indistinguishable from the 580s at that res, and cost only half as much. Cheaper still you could run a pair of HD6850s, or even a pair of 460s for that matter.

If you already own the GTX580, then keep it, or sell it for one of the setups mentioned above. You don't really need anything more powerful than that for 1920x1200.

If you're contemplating buying another, as long as you grab another two screens to go with it then go for it. otherwise no.

So... with all these questions, do you think the best was to just return the 580 and get 2 GTX560?
I guess my Corsair HX1000 will have some problems with an overclocked i7 ( 4.5 ) and 2 580 in SLi ... i've heard people complaining ... ( do to using an oc i7 and a gtx 580 on the same rail )

Meh ... or just forget the SLi stuff, keep the freaking GTX580 and clock it and never thing about it again ... ehehe :x

Two stock 580s will be fine with an overclocked i7 on an HX1000, that's only about 800W DC draw in games.
Two 560s at 1920x1200 should be a good 40%+ faster than one 580.

Two 560 2gbs is what I would get. Well, I would probably get two 6950 2gbs and unlock them but that is my pick. Either way, yeah, two less expensive 2gb gpus = good to go for a long time.

Yes. I have a single GTX580 and it chugs on SC2 on medium settings 4xAA. If you are in that bleeding edge, you know you are not happy with the performance in certain games. I am debating on getting a second GTX580 or waiting for the next gen of cards which will surely increase performance by 30% at the least.

What resolution God?
Well, i'm going to the store today ... talk with the guy ...

I'm not feeling confident with my PSU holding the i7 overclocked and the 580 Sli overclocked... and i really don't want to buy another PSU just for the sake of 2 GTX580 ... because the investment will be not that good in terms of price vs performance.

Decent new PSU and another GTX580 is going to run you $650 odd. If you sell your existing GTX580 and run two unlocked HD6950s on your existing PSU [it should cope if it's 700W or bigger] that's a total outlay of only $500, minus whatever you get for selling the other 580. All in it'll probably cost you $100 ish, maybe less.

What resolution God?

I'm not feeling confident with my PSU holding the i7 overclocked and the 580 Sli overclocked... and i really don't want to buy another PSU just for the sake of 2 GTX580 ... because the investment will be not that good in terms of price vs performance.

As long as you are distributing the load properly on your PSU you will have no issues. Others are running a couple of GTX 580 on an HX-850 without issue, granted the 850 is on a newer platform, but the point still stands that you will be fine. Refer to the following diagram:

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=70317

Keep in mind, games do not always scale properly with SLI, so I'd stay with the fastest single GPU card knowing you will have more options for budget SLI in the future when used 580's become available at a good price.

Keep in mind, games do not always scale properly with SLI, so I'd stay with the fastest single GPU card knowing you will have more options for budget SLI in the future when used 580's become available at a good price.

+1. I say always go with the fastest single GPU you can afford and then go from there.

It's pretty rare that they don't.
If I can get 20% better performance from a dual setup that uses 100W more for the same price, I'll go with the single card. If I can get 40% more performance from a dual setup that uses the same power and actually costs less, no brainer for me, I go with the dual setup.

What resolution God?

At 1920x1080. Also, it chugs only because I play 4vs4 with huge armies on screen. The AA cripples the fps, but even then a single GTX580 couldn't max SC2 at 1080p with 60fps at all times. I can definitely feel the GTX580 falling short at 1080p, is just a matter of cranking the settings, and I do need the IQ since my monitor is 27in. I have a second monitors too, but I don't do multiple screen gaming. The GTX580 can't handle a single monitor at the settings I want.

Exactly. This is the reason why I went with a single GTX580 atm. I will go SLI once it drops to $400.

I'm gonna say it depends on what your going to do. If you gonna stay running at 1920x1200 then keep it /closethread

If you are going to buy a new monitor for Stereo 3d aka a 120hz 3d vision ready panel then yes consider SLi

If your goal is to max Crysis and Metro 2033 at that resolution and achieve playable or even slightly better than playable fps then yes.

Otherwise keep the single GTX 580 for that resolution, find a nice stable overclock and call it a day.

Also keep in mind crysis 2 final release is days away. A GTX 580 should run it fine at that resolution but not maxed. Same with Crysis warhead/Metro 2033

Hey guys, thank you so much for the support :) I decided to keep the GTX580 for now ... after all this debate my guess is ... the money was spent ... so, just enjoy and later this year, if there's a better alternative or if i even need it, i'll just jump ... :)

Last edited:
Back