Worth going from Vista 64 Ultimate to Win 7 for a gamer?

pcgamer420

Limp Gawd
I paid $180 for Vista 64 bit Ultimate a little over a year ago and now there is already a new OS coming out. I run a i7 [email protected] ghz with 2 gtx 260c216 in sli and 6gb ddr3 1600. I love this rig as it serves wonderfully as a gaming machine.

Whats the deal with Windows 7 for gaming? Will it be worth upgrading to from Vista? I haven't had any problems with Vista at all, but if Win 7 is much better for running current and future games I'll consider getting it.

Thx for any response

If there's any performance difference I can't tell.

There are some little things that 7 does better. I have a combo analog/digital TV tuner in my HTPC. With Vista I could only use one or the other, 7 can use both and puts all the analog and digital channels on the guide in Media Center. At the same time you lose a couple things like Windows Movie Maker.

Basically, unless you absolutely love the new taskbar I wouldn't be in a rush to upgrade.

I paid $180 for Vista 64 bit Ultimate a little over a year ago and now there is already a new OS coming out. I run a i7 [email protected] ghz with 2 gtx 260c216 in sli and 6gb ddr3 1600. I love this rig as it serves wonderfully as a gaming machine.

Whats the deal with Windows 7 for gaming? Will it be worth upgrading to from Vista? I haven't had any problems with Vista at all, but if Win 7 is much better for running current and future games I'll consider getting it.

Thx for any response

There aren't any "hard" changes (such as "OMG WINDOWZSEVEN GOES 10000000% FASTER oneoneoneoneone). The only changes are "soft" (new taskbar, removed the Sidebar, additional ability to remove Windows components, Aero Peek/Shake/Snaps, arguable placebo effect that the OS "feels" snappier). If these changes to the way Windows works are compelling, upgrading should be on your list. If not, Vista is a fine OS.

If you're a college student, you should check out the $30 promo deal for Windows 7 Professional.

If there's any performance difference I can't tell.

There are some little things that 7 does better. I have a combo analog/digital TV tuner in my HTPC. With Vista I could only use one or the other, 7 can use both and puts all the analog and digital channels on the guide in Media Center. At the same time you lose a couple things like Windows Movie Maker.

Basically, unless you absolutely love the new taskbar I wouldn't be in a rush to upgrade.

There are performance differences, some that I have read which I can't find the link anymore:

1. Unlike Vista, Windows 7 will now allow for concurrent loading of programs. Windows Vista loaded each program one at a time, even if these were ms the perception was slowed because Windows Vista did it one at a time. This is why once I logged in, I always left for 3 minutes while it loaded all of the start-up programs and background programs, Steam, EA, Games for Windows, Rockstar, etc.

2. Windows 7 according to developers uses a more efficient way of allowing programs to use the process memory. The windows you are currently using will have more process focus, the one in the background less.

Basically Windows 7, is more or less "behind the scenes" changes. I have no problems with any of the games I have tried. I am though still waiting for official Asus Xonar 1.3 HDMI drivers for Windows 7 using beta drivers, but it doesn't look like Asus will release before the official release of Windows 7.

Right now I have Windows Vista Ultimate x64, but I have been using Windows 7 RC x64 since it was release to the public. I can not wait till October 22, to finally upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate x64.

I am triple booting between Win XP, Win Vista and Win 7 but come October 23, 2009. I will have only one OS on my system, Windows 7.

There is virtually zero performance benefits from Vista to 7 on a fast machine. I've bench marked enough games and there's nothing there. Some people say there are dual GPU bonuses to 7 and from what I've seen, it's a measly 1-2 FPS, maybe 5, but a lot of factors weigh in including cards, resolutions etc., sometimes Vista still wins.

Overall, the only reason to switch to 7 is if you like the features, performance wise there's nothing your missing, believe it or not.

There are performance differences, some that I have read which I can't find the link anymore:

I did a pretty thorough rundown back when the beta came out. My experiences with the RC and RTM were the same, there is no perceivable difference in performance between Vista and 7 for the most part.

I wont argue that there aren't any performance improvements at all, some hardware seems to work a lot better with 7. For whatever reason the Intel 945 chipset (which encompasses lots of early Core 2 laptops and all Atom systems) didn't seem to get along with Vista but works great with 7. There also definitely has been some memory management tweaking as well.

However, 7 is not magically faster than Vista at running multiple applications or anything like that.
I am triple booting between Win XP, Win Vista and Win 7.
Why on Earth would you do that? What does XP do that Vista can't? Vista is FASTER than XP in most configurations.

I think it is worth going to windows 7 as you'll get a better experience playing
games in windows 7 than you would windows vista.

Not sure what these guys are doing to test it, but as a gamer I most definitely gained notable FPS running 7 vs Vista. I can believe that the OS just "feels" snappier. But the ruler you're using (feel) is what matters. I have never been excited for an O/S and I'm stoked for Win7. I liked Vista ok, but 7 in general feels so much better.
If you're a student get the $30 upgrade for sure. If not, get the trial and try it out for yourself. No reason to listen to us when you can find out first hand.

There aren't any "hard" changes (such as "OMG WINDOWZSEVEN GOES 10000000% FASTER oneoneoneoneone). The only changes are "soft" (new taskbar, removed the Sidebar, additional ability to remove Windows components, Aero Peek/Shake/Snaps, arguable placebo effect that the OS "feels" snappier). If these changes to the way Windows works are compelling, upgrading should be on your list. If not, Vista is a fine OS.

If you're a college student, you should check out the $30 promo deal for Windows 7 Professional.

I would say that the services on demand is a hard change and so are some of the other features like fileserver caching (ie using windows 7 clients to cache files on a slow network pipe)

I can't tell the difference gaming. If you do upgrade, don't do it for that reason. If you find there are other reasons to upgrade go ahead and do it. I like 7 after getting used to the new taskbar, but really there isn't a lot else different, at least that is noticeable in daily usage.

Yea with your hardware you won't really see any major speed increases. Now if you had some older slower pieces they I would say go for it. You would be better off saving your money for now.

But if you wanted to test it out to see, I'm sure you can find the RC iso somewhere and try it out for yourself :D.

Back