• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Worth getting a 9800 pro or xt??

GOD'SlittleSERVANT

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Jul 18, 2001
Messages
7,269
i gots me a 9600xt and i need a new card. will it be worth upgrading to a pro or a xt? suggestions?? thanks guys <3
 
Well I love my 9800 Pro, but I upgraded from a GeForce 4. I am thinking that you may be better off skipping the 9800 and going with one of the newer cards. Of course I am in no way informed about the performance differences between any of the cards so take it for what it's worth (very little that is).
 
To put it this way, the medium end cards that are out now in the $200-250 range are a little bit faster than last generations $400+ dollar badasses. The $400+ cards that are out now, are DOUBLE the power of last generations badasses. That's no exageration. Not to say that FPS always doubles, but you can really use AA and AF in everything at higher resolutions than ever before with the top end cards.

[H\ardOCP's testing showed an incredible 266FPS on a Dual Geforce 6800 GT rig using SLi technology to link the cards together on Half Life 2 @1600x1200 with 4xAA and 16xAF. :eek: This generation has had the most technological advancements since the 9700Pro came out to replace the 8500 series Radeon's.

So I'd be looking at a medium end card from this generation. Reason being, that they support newer technologies in games that the older generation won't. You also won't have to pay that much more for the newer technologies. So it doesn't really make sense to buy into the old.

My recommendations for cards

X700Pro $199.99
X700XT $199.99 (Not available yet)
6600GT $249.99 (Can be had closer to $200 online.)
6800 $299.99 (Can be had closer to $250 online.)

These mid range cards offer more performance than the 9800XT 256MB does. That's something to consider. They aren't faster by leaps and bounds, but they are by a fair margine.
 
.........and oddly enough, most places that have the 9800 in stock are charging close to what you can get a new midrange card for too. I don't understand it but I guess if people are still buying them, they will keep letting them. :p
 
You'll want to skip the 9800pro and XT for a 6600GT or 6800nu. The 6800nu is leaps and bounds ahead of the 9800 in performance.
 
You wont notice much going fromt he 9600XT to the Pro, not even much for the XT..I did the same swap in my work rig and I did not notice that much. Youc an turn up af and aa a little more, but thats about all.
 
no, but the 6600gt is simply better in every way.

anyways, I'd get a 6800 nu, but nothing under that. It just wouldn't be worth it........
 
bountyhunter said:
no, but the 6600gt is simply better in every way.

anyways, I'd get a 6800 nu, but nothing under that. It just wouldn't be worth it........


I agree. The 6800nu beats the pants off the 6600GT and everything else in its price category.
 
Back
Top