Worth an upgrade? Heating issues...

ruin97140

Weaksauce
Hi Tech Guru's, :)

I am in need of your assistance once again...

Had this build (see sig) for a while now, and it has served me extremely well, but since I have moved into an apartment with steam heaters, the temps in here get pretty warm, and that small change has caused me some headaches in the cooling realm of my PC.

Currently getting lock ups on all high end games due to CPU temps popping up to 60 C. :(

Right now I am idle at 41 C.

With the case side off it never locks up and the load stays at about 52 C, and idles on 35 C.

Really want to make my rig last another couple years... its still fast, runs all new games great so far, so not looking to buy the next best thing till this hits rock bottom.

I bought that thermaltake SL1 PCI cooler yesterday and well I think it dropped me about 2 degrees, big whoop right, for 20 bucks... oh well... :mad:

moving along...

Thought it might be wise to purchase some case fans to replace the existing antec tri-cool fans. I know these fans are great, and do move a good amount of air, but as you can see I must be having some sort of circulation issues when my temps are moving up and down 10+ with my case side off/on...

side note- the exhaust fan on the back doesn't feel like its doing much until the case side is off, which can only mean there isn't enough air getting in the case?

FAN REPLACEMENT?
Thinking about grabbing 3X Scythe DFS123812-3000 "ULTRA KAZE" 120 x 38 mm Case Fan - Retail http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185054

FAN PLACEMENT- Antec 182

Intake- Front panel 1X the other spot is full of HD ^_^.
Exhaust- Top/Back 1X
Top Fan? Would this be exhaust or intake? I can't seem to find any test to prove what option would be the best solution.

Maybe I am going about cooling this case all wrong? Does anyone have the same case that has found a solution? :confused:

Off subject, but I was on newegg shopping for the fans and noticed they have my RAM still on there for $82.00 for another 2GB. Should I be going for 4GB at this point? I believe I read somewhere this boars RAM controller doesn't like 4 sticks? Was that just for XP/Visat? I am moving to Windows 7 Ultimate x64 soon. :D

any input is much appreciated. :D :D :D

:)

Do you have any pics of your current setup? Might help get an idea what you have to work with.

using all four dimm slots will require more voltage to the mch, which can affect your CPU OC. yes, you should be going for a 4GB kit instead of another 2GB kit, for a total of 6GB. wait, what are you doing with this system that makes you think you need more ram? lol.

Do you have a Praetorian or a P182? :confused: If you have a P182, the rear and top fans are typically exhaust and the front is intake. The lower chamber has a mid fan to cool the drives and exhaust through the PSU.

That SL1 PCI cooler is way overpriced. Return it and buy a new CPU cooler instead. IIRC, AM2/3 coolers will work on s939, but double check. If they do, I'd suggest something like the Cooler Master Hyper 212+. As for case fans, just get some 120mm Yate Loons from jab-tech.com and replace those Tri-Cools. The Yates push more air while being quieter (low speed model).

How are your GPU temps?

using all four dimm slots will require more voltage to the mch, which can affect your CPU OC. yes, you should be going for a 4GB kit instead of another 2GB kit, for a total of 6GB. wait, what are you doing with this system that makes you think you need more ram? lol.

Do you have a Praetorian or a P182? :confused: If you have a P182, the rear and top fans are typically exhaust and the front is intake. The lower chamber has a mid fan to cool the drives and exhaust through the PSU.

That SL1 PCI cooler is way overpriced. Return it and buy a new CPU cooler instead. IIRC, AM2/3 coolers will work on s939, but double check. If they do, I'd suggest something like the Cooler Master Hyper 212+. As for case fans, just get some 120mm Yate Loons from jab-tech.com and replace those Tri-Cools. The Yates push more air while being quieter (low speed model).

How are your GPU temps?

Sounds like adding more RAM isn't a great idea for the current build. I don't really think I need more, just saw the same kit for a cheap price figured might as well add 2GB...

I thought I had updated my sig... Must have had too many lines, now its updated.

GPU tems- GPU- 50 idle GPU Diod- 56 idle memory 50 idle GPU ambient 46 Idle

will post load temps when I get back from work. :D

Hi ruin97140, 1st I've to admit my reply perhaps is not very serious, but based on your post,

1. any input is much appreciated
2. headaches
3. high temperature everywhere
4. case opened, noise, less focus maybe you keep worry about temperature
5. wasted money and efforts to few improvement.
6. It looks like you wanted to do more things with uncertainty. buy more expensive fans,ram,etc.
7. Gaming is supposed to entertain you but it looks like you could be entertaining the computer instead. "ruined"97140

Sometimes it helps to step back in order to re-evaluate the whole situation. How much and is it possible for you sell the unit in good condition or parts to willing buyer? If can, do you think you can re-invest the money to spec for a better setup? I think a lot of forum members can help you on the setup.

Note: I will be travelling beginning from tomorrow for a few days. my apology if no reply from me.

Cheers

Last edited:
Hi ruin97140, 1st I've to admit my reply perhaps is not very serious, but based on your post,

1. any input is much appreciated
2. headaches
3. high temperature everywhere
4. case opened, noise, less focus maybe you keep worry about temperature
5. wasted money and efforts to few improvement.
6. It looks like you wanted to do more things with uncertainty. buy more expensive fans,ram,etc.
7. Gaming is supposed to entertain you but it looks like you could be entertaining the computer instead. "ruined"97140

Sometimes it helps to step back in order to re-evaluate the whole situation. How much and is it possible for you sell the unit in good condition or parts to willing buyer? If can, do you think you can re-invest the money to spec for a better setup? I think a lot of forum members can help you on the setup.

Note: I will be travelling beginning from tomorrow for a few days. my apology if no reply from me.

Cheers

Hey lightp2,

I know it would just be easier to do a build, I have shopped around for parts about 5X in the last year. I keep getting something setup and looking over my part choices and the prices, it seems great until I realize I always like to get the high end tech (best stuff-most expensive) so it not old in a day, instead it just gets old in a week :D

it seems to be more cost effective to just figure out the cooling problem, since it wasn't an issue until I moved into a warmer apartment, and this PC has a lot of life left in it.

Does anyone have a suggestion for getting my temps lowered? I think I am just going go with the Scythe ULTRA KAZE 120MM fans, not worried about noise, just want to get proper airflow in the case. If it doesn't work, I will have 3 great fans for a future build, might even get a speed adjuster for the front panel ;)

Sounds like you need more airflow thru the case. What it the current temperture in the house right now?

Yate Loons are cheaper and comparable performance. I'd go for those instead of the Slipstreams. I get mine from jab-tech.com for under $4 each (low speed). You can get medium or high speed and voltmod them if they're too loud (simple mod, easy to do).

Yate Loons are cheaper and comparable performance. I'd go for those instead of the Slipstreams. I get mine from jab-tech.com for under $4 each (low speed). You can get medium or high speed and voltmod them if they're too loud (simple mod, easy to do).

Its too late, already got the CRAZY Scythe ULTRA KAZE 120MM fans 3000's. :)

I will post my results after installation.

House temperature? I have no clue... No thermostat in the apartment :(

Do you have any pics of your current setup? Might help get an idea what you have to work with.

If you can be arsed, this would be cool.

side note- the exhaust fan on the back doesn't feel like its doing much until the case side is off, which can only mean there isn't enough air getting in the case?

Yep sounds like you might be right. I know you said there's only one intake due to HDDs, so make sure the one you have is unobstructed (not loads of wires in front or behind, grills/filters aren't being too restrictive and are cleaned of dust).

You could also try making the fan on the back or on top an intake instead of an exhaust and see what difference it makes. It's not a typical setup but there's no harm in trying.

How is the Zalman CNPS 9700 in terms of dust? Those things can collect it pretty quickly. How hot is it to touch when the system's been running?

not sure how much you're into playing with the dremmel tool, but I'd tear a hole into the case opposite of the board and put another intake fan there.

3 jet engines installed.

Temp while running full Prime95

CPU: 52

Core 1 58
Core 2 65

bad?? :confused:

if you can get it to cool down, first check the voltage to the cpu. You might need a multimeter. If its correct, part the system out.

if you can get it to cool down, first check the voltage to the cpu. You might need a multimeter. If its correct, part the system out.

yeah I checked the voltage. :(

same temps at full load running Prime95.

I didn't think 52 C was too bad for full load, but I guess the question is, when one core is popping above 60 that is a very bad thing?

my idle temps got moved down to 35-37 C :)

Back