Worst PC ever...

DeadlyAura

Supreme [H]ardness
Ok so, I formatted and installed Windows XP Home SP2 3 days ago. Last night I finished installing all my programs, all my drivers, apps, the whole sha-bang.

Today, I had to shut down to fix one of my cathodes. I started back up and the Windows loading screen came up like normal. Then, instead of going to the welcome screen, it went black. And it sits there forever. I tried at least 8 times with the same result.

So I put in Knoppix Live to save all my stuff so I can reformat again. Well Knoppix goes to the loading screen and sits on "Configuring devices" forever and does not start. Great... Tried that 3 times.

Now I put in my XP Home CD that I just got 3 days ago. Brand spankin new.

I put the disk in, it says "setup is loading files" and then says "Setup is starting Windows" and sits there.. forever... just like the rest...

So now, I'm out of options. I don't know what the fuck to do. My next plan of attack is eraseing the disk with the Ultimate Boot CD and Active@ killdisk...

Unless anyone has any other suggestions?

At this point, I don't know if I need PC help or psychiactric help...

When you fixed your cathode you might have bumped a card, I'd reseat any pci/agp/pcie cards and memory and see if it boots.

Did you try safe-mode??? Something is conflicting upon load and causing it to hang, I guess. This happened out of the blue to me the other day as well, and it took a while to get it sorted, but safe-mode allowed me to go in and troubleshoot.

I think Zone Alarm somehow hosed me. I dumped it and am now running a different firewall and things are stable. I couldn't get a clean fresh install of ZA, either. It was really weird. I did a registry cleaning too, though don't know if that would have been the source of any problems.

I would think it would be obvious to start testing out the hardware if three separate OS attempts failed. Instead of getting all worked up, you have to try rational solutions first.

Did you try turnign off the cahodes, and unneeded stuff? Maybe your PSU is crap.

NewBlackDak said:
Did you try turnign off the cahodes, and unneeded stuff? Maybe your PSU is crap.

I turned off the cathodes and everything unneeded.

The PSU is brand new, maybe a month old, but probably less. Ultra X-Finity 600W.

I'll test hardware in a little while, I had to go out for a little while and that is why I didn't test originally. I just wanted to get some suggestions while I was gone to see if you guys could think of anything i didn't.

YARDofSTUF said:
When you fixed your cathode you might have bumped a card, I'd reseat any pci/agp/pcie cards and memory and see if it boots.

And reseat the IDE/SATA cables as well... it's so easy to get one of those to come halfway out at times when working inside the case.

also take out video card and just have 1 stick of ram in, get as little stuff in computer as possible

Basic hardware troubleshooting 101

You've obviously either bumped something loose or zapped/stuffed something by fiddling about with the motherboard still powered. That's if you need anything more than a CMOS reset, of course. Software solutions don't help much when you've created a hardware problem.

Well... I fixed it... and feel like a dumbass...

When I shut down last time to fix the cathodes I left my USB thumb drive plugged in... Upon startup, there must have been a conflict caused by the drive.

I realized that while ripping out everything trying to hardware troubleshoot. Basically, I unplugged it and the PC booted no problem... hours of frustration for a dumbass mistake...

Thanks for the help guys, I apprecaite it.

Back