Worst LCD luck ever or..?

Luke20

n00b
Joined
Jun 1, 2006
Messages
19
Hello everyone, new here but I thought I'd share my problems with you guys in hope that maybe there is a solution. I'd love to go into great detail about it but I know I def wouldn't read a huge essay on some random guys LCD problems so I'll try to sum it up as best I can.

I previously owned an HP personal computer, was a AMD 64 3400+ with an eVGA 7800GT and with it I used an old school Dell1800FP that we've owned for..a long time. Everything looked great minus the ghosting. Anyhoo.. we recently just received our new rig, an ABS Ultimate M6 Sniper. With it we got a VX922, I plugged this bad boy in and booted her up, right off the bat I noticed horizontal lines on the picture, they didn't move and they were'nt *THAT* visible @ first. But once I started cranking up the games I could see them all over textures and it really washed out the picture. So I installed some fresh video card drivers and dabbled with the refresh rate a bit, nothing would work. I did some research and came to the conclusion that the panel was faulty..

Then just out curiousity I plugged up an LG 1932TQ to the system and the lines were gone for the most part, but actually they can be seen on certain backgrounds, particullary light grays/blues/greens and there is some kind of snow static effect going on if you look very close on some backgrounds.

Now why I say I have the worst luck is bcuz on my HP I had plugged up a 940B, VP201B and a VX924 that all had the same problem.. a bit strange? Now the same problem is happening with my BRAND NEW rig. Could it be faulty video cards? Are they running too hot? 65 degrees after some harsh Quake 4 gaming.. bad DVI connections? (Tried 2 different cables)

I'm hella clueless.. this is the most frustrating problem for me bcuz I can't for the life of me, figure out what is causng this.
 
Maybe the issue is with something other then the video cards and LCDs. Maybe you have EMI interference from something or the electrical system there is bad.
 
Thing is, the Dell 1800FP.. as old as it is, I can't see any line interference. I just find it EXTREMELY bizarre how I've gone through 5 LCD's with the same exact problem yet the 1800FP remains unaffected and we've had it for a few years now.. We have poor electricity out where I live, I will not deny that.
 
Luke20 said:
Thing is, the Dell 1800FP.. as old as it is, I can't see any line interference. I just find it EXTREMELY bizarre how I've gone through 5 LCD's with the same exact problem yet the 1800FP remains unaffected and we've had it for a few years now.. We have poor electricity out where I live, I will not deny that.

Well just to be on the safe side i would definitely recommend that you have your hardware hooked up to an online UPS to regulate the power.
 
I'm all for trying an online ups system, but is that the only conclusion that seems viable? I mean could it be video card related? Motherboard related? Or does bad power to the computer/monitor just seem like the likely problem.
 
Luke20 said:
I mean could it be video card related? Motherboard related?


yes and yes to could be power related. You just have to go through troubleshooting.

My first try would've been to try with a single videcard. Then try moving PCI cards around (especially modems and soundcards. Put them furthest away from the videocard). If that's no help, try a new PSU (or a line conditioner), then different videocard, mobo, etc.
 
Back
Top