Worst ISP luck ever, need suggestions

todlerix

2[H]4U
I think i may have stumbled upon some of the worst luck ever.

I have 10mb/1mb service, and it utterly blows- My problem has been going on for 5 some months. In january it got extremly bad, and over the last week its hit rock bottom.

Code:
Ping statistics for 72.14.253.147:
    Packets: Sent = 4297, Received = 2716, Lost = 1581 (36% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 39ms, Maximum = 4461ms, Average = 171ms
Control-C
^C
C:\Documents and Settings\Todd>

[URL="http://www.speedtest.net/result/97849892.png"]http://www.speedtest.net/result/97849892.png[/URL]

36% packet loss from 2:30 to 5:30pm, 500kb down 1000kb up.

The upstream works great, its the downstream and packet loss it causes; thats my issue.

It was find until 1:30pm today, and by fine i mean not 4k ping and not massive packet loss, still running sub 5mb downstream but it was acceptable. Then like a pair of scissors chopped the cord, my downstream went byebye.

BTW, that ping test was done on an idle connection~

So with that bit of information i'm hoping someone can give me some suggestions to get this taken care of.

I have had the company come out, climb up the pole and do the test with identical results, meaning its not my house/computer/hardware.

They know its them, they admit its them, they havent fixed it and they've known of the issue since november 06.

I have no other highspeed methods- Moving isnt an option~

I think i may have stumbled upon some of the worst luck ever.

I have 10mb/1mb service, and it utterly blows- My problem has been going on for 5 some months. In january it got extremly bad, and over the last week its hit rock bottom.

Code:
Ping statistics for 72.14.253.147:
    Packets: Sent = 4297, Received = 2716, Lost = 1581 (36% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 39ms, Maximum = 4461ms, Average = 171ms
Control-C
^C
C:\Documents and Settings\Todd>

[URL="http://www.speedtest.net/result/97849892.png"]http://www.speedtest.net/result/97849892.png[/URL]

36% packet loss from 2:30 to 5:30pm, 500kb down 1000kb up.

The upstream works great, its the downstream and packet loss it causes; thats my issue.

It was find until 1:30pm today, and by fine i mean not 4k ping and not massive packet loss, still running sub 5mb downstream but it was acceptable. Then like a pair of scissors chopped the cord, my downstream went byebye.

BTW, that ping test was done on an idle connection~

So with that bit of information i'm hoping someone can give me some suggestions to get this taken care of.

I have had the company come out, climb up the pole and do the test with identical results, meaning its not my house/computer/hardware.

They know its them, they admit its them, they havent fixed it and they've known of the issue since november 06.

I have no other highspeed methods- Moving isnt an option~

Wouldn't happen to be Verizon DSL?

they offer 8mb on dsl line in nearby city, and fios offers much higher

but i have cable

are there a lot of other users in you area? ..being how cable is essentially shared, maybe your isp over sold their services which might account for the slower downloads now ...but that still shouldnt cause packet loss unless either they are running crappy equipment ..or maybe your modem is dying

dono , just guessing

[F]old|[H]ard

are there a lot of other users in you area? ..being how cable is essentially shared, maybe your isp over sold their services which might account for the slower downloads now ...but that still shouldnt cause packet loss unless either they are running crappy equipment ..or maybe your modem is dying

dono , just guessing

[F]old|[H]ard

Modem\router could be getting to hot. I used to have mine ontop of my stereo which puts out quite a bit of heat and I was having problems until I moved it.

Modem\router could be getting to hot. I used to have mine ontop of my stereo which puts out quite a bit of heat and I was having problems until I moved it.

It's crappy to the pole, as he said, so it's no equipment on premise.

Which, unfortunately means that there is no magic bullet for him to magically make it work.

The OP *can* be a complete ass to them until the service is fixed, however. The worst that happens is he loses his already crappy service.

Which, unfortunately means that there is no magic bullet for him to magically make it work.

The OP *can* be a complete ass to them until the service is fixed, however. The worst that happens is he loses his already crappy service.

its hard for me to be mean to them ;x

i had em out again today, the replaced for stuff inside my house even tho they verified the problem was outside the house.

They are sending a "noise team" out tomorrow morning to look for noise in the area.

im in the same situation as the OP but there is a monopoly so i have to stay with time warner. Paying for 8mbps/768 and only getting 4down/350

Get on the phone with the cable company, and escalate it to the highest person you can at that call center. Demand that you want the service you are paying for, and you want it fixed. Mention that you'd like to request some reimbursement for your unusable connection. If they are anything like Time Warner out in CNY, they will gladly give you $20 credit (at least!) and get someone out there ASAP to replace all sorts of cabling. I had almost the same issue for a while, and got sick of it. I got on the phone, was nice to the first level people, then when they offered a service call in 3 weeks, I asked for a supervisor. They got someone out the next day. They replaced the cabling all the way from the street to the TVs and Cable Modem. It screams now, probably since the cable from the street isn't 15 years old now ;)

If they still don't do anything for you, then I think you can probably file a complaint with the FCC/FTC about their service problems.

If escalations at the call center fail, try tracking down one of their regional managers.

I hate to mention this as i work for a cable ISP but if you really want to make sure they do everything they can do to track this down (and yes tracking down and intermidant noise issue can take some time but 4 months is rediculous) do this.

be nice and give them the oportunity to fix it before being a jerk. being a jerk will not help your cause.

Call their admistrative line, not the help desk, find the number if you can't PM and i can help you find it for your local ISP, then ask to speak to their public relations representative. If they ask what this is concerning tell them you are having service issues and you are about to call the local media to report the issue and the lack of responce you have gotten from the help desk. Once you have a rep expalin yoru story and what steps you are planning to do neext if the issue is not addressed in a prompt manner (remain nice and understanding).

I promise you that this one threat will have them working on this ASAP and those people have massive pull at an ISP. Give them the chance to call you back and to help you. if they dont, then call the local tv news outlet as they love running these types of stories. and yes ask for credit they owe it to you. If you where my cust i woudl comp yoru serivce as long as you have had 36% packet loss. thats ALOT of loss.

Remember give them the chance to fix it as if you are willing to work with this public relations person they will do everything they can to help you.and if they dont then they need to get reported to the local media.

Check to see if your local cable co has a franchise agreement with the city to provide service. Most towns with a single provider have something like this. Those agreements are usually very strict in the level of service the cable co is required to provide, including timeframes in which problems must be fixed. Those time periods are usually measured in days, and there can be some pretty hefty fines if they don't keep with the contracts.

If they don't get this handled in a day or two, give the your city a call and see if they've got something like this. If they do, they'll contact the cable co directly and things get handled fast.

I was having a similar problem, when they sent a trobuleshooting team out with an analyzer the thrid time I reported the issue. that team was able to discopver not only was the issue being cuased by trouble upstream from my location, it was also upstream from the node my neighborhood was connected.

Ended up that a new power line run was run incorrectly and was causing noise in the nearby cable line. The team that verified the issue was shocked that everyone in my nieghborhood wasn't burning up the support lines...

I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic, how ever I'm not sure if you were as well.

no i was not being sarcastic and i dont think he was either. Packet loss thru out the course of internet browsing is going to happen eventually. and to tell any one that one packet lost is too many is setting a unrealistic goal to any one who does not know better. Im not saying any constant loss is ok but if you drop a packet every 8 hours or so is not to be unexpected. Besides most routers Qos for ICMP traffic is so low i would be shocked not to loose any packets to a busy router thru out the course of a day.

To the OP's point 30+% is flippin rediculous heck .5% (half a percent) is enough to jack your connection. but even a half of precent amounts to thousands of lost packets per day, even at a ping time of once every second.

Back