Worst gpu advice buying article ever?

The title of the article is "best deals" not necessarily the best card.

I don't think the advice is that bad, seeing as the better options are nowhere to be found.

The title of the article is "best deals" not necessarily the best card.

I don't think the advice is that bad, seeing as the better options are nowhere to be found.

no where does it menchine waiting a week to get thr rx 480 470 and 460 whitch all seem to be killer deals

This is like an article written for non gamers by non gamers. Must be another Forbes or WSJ article...

..........and it's PC "Gamer" :p

I got no problems with the article. Depends on what your needs are - like # of monitors, resolution, types of use, which games, etc - but the advice is solid. Right now, best bang for the buck is arguably the GTX 970. Ironically, that's exactly what I bought last week (for a media server).

Looks like a sponsored article and conveniently its main focus is GTX 970? If you wanna have a best deals article to stay fair you should offer choices.

What about r9 390 with double the memory for 249.99?

Or any smart gaming magazine should not even make this article with 480 coming out in a week. lol

Looks like someone at nvidia wrote that article to push as many 970s as they can before rx 480 hits.

I got no problems with the article. Depends on what your needs are - like # of monitors, resolution, types of use, which games, etc - but the advice is solid. Right now, best bang for the buck is arguably the GTX 970. Ironically, that's exactly what I bought last week (for a media server).

No wonder you like the article cuz you bought the same card lol. So you really think this is the best buy right now? When rx 480 has latest connectors and it going to cheaper and faster and use less power?

After all its your wallet, but gtx 970 is probably a bad choice right now.

No wonder you like the article cuz you bought the same card lol. So you really think this is the best buy right now? When rx 480 has latest connectors and it going to cheaper and faster and use less power?

Well if someone held a gun to my head and made me buy a <$250 card last week I would have bought a 970 as well :D

Reactions: NKD
like this
Well if someone held a gun to my head and made me buy a <$250 card last week I would have bought a 970 as well :D

bahahah, me too only if they told me I had to buy a 970 or they will shoot me.

Wait the cheapest one I saw right now was 265!!

So either they give me 15 more bucks or they take the gun off!

LOL, well I got an MSI 970 Twin Frozr for $249. As I said, it went in a media server, so noise was a big concern. This card is noiseless - as in zero fan or pump noise - when used for multimedia, so I'm sticking with my choice. Furthermore, I needed the card last week, and the 480 isn't even out yet.

LOL, well I got an MSI 970 Twin Frozr for $249. As I said, it went in a media server, so noise was a big concern. This card is noiseless - as in zero fan or pump noise - when used for multimedia, so I'm sticking with my choice. Furthermore, I needed the card last week, and the 480 isn't even out yet.

No worries!! Like I said everyone has their budget and choices. :asmile:

It does say best deals 'today'

True but as a journalist you have to have best interest of public at hand. Thats all I am saying, they must have known rx480 is coming out unless they live in a cave.

This is like an article written for non gamers by non gamers. Must be another Forbes or WSJ article...

..........and it's PC "Gamer" :p

It's not just a PC Gamer article. It's a Maximum PC article. Look at the top right of the article. ;)

Didn't Kyle do some articles and stuff for them back in the day?

It can be, but I'd challenge or at least caveat that. If you don't have the power supply for it then you got to figure that cost in, and that destroys your bang for the buck figures. Ironically, people who were already running more powerful PSUs are in a great position as they have enough juice on hand to consider crossfire and sli and still have comfortable margins when it comes to power.

Those like me aren't sitting so well. I had happily decide to stay at 1080P, content with the sacrifice when faced with the greater costs of the higher end cards and PSUs to drive them not to mention the monitors for 2K or better displays.

But today the situation is suddenly different, 1070 cards can run 3440x1440 on a many monitor and still run a 1080P secondary monitor for just over $400, and these new cards draw less power so my current PSU is happy. But maybe not so good for the RX480 option, I would probably need a new PSU for crossfire which would make the single 1070 a better option for me. But even if a 980Ti is up to the job, it's too close in price and it's older, not enough in the + column to swing me away from a 1070 and even if they got cheaper still, I would need that larger PSU which again blows out the savings.

So you're saying this article is akin to one on the 'Top 5 Ways to Get AIDS'?

GB G1 1070 here :) btw the evga card is reference.

The Superclocked one?

And I am not sure how it could be a reference card. My understanding is that the FE cards are the new reference cards and therefor it can't be a reference card without also being an FE card. It may physically be an FE card with a custom cooler and different clocking and I could probably accept that as the new non-fe version of a reference card.

The question is, are we talking about the same card?

This is what I bought;
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 DirectX 12 08G-P4-6173-KR 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 Video Card - Newegg.com

Sorry it is my understanding the eVGA SC is a reference PCB with an afternarket cooler from what I've gathered. Its a great card, the reference PCB is quite good. All the cards pretty much perform the same, which makes me wonder why people shell put for the ultrawide ultra expensive MSI with all the power phases etc.

I can't say but my EXGA 1070 SC came in yesterday, I installed it this morning, no muss no fuss. Went into World of Tanks and It's running super with everything turned up maxed at 1080P, I don't have the 2K monitor I am wanting yet. Then I fired up Fallout 4 and what I had time to look at looked great, but it was nighttime in the game and too dark to really get a wow out of it. Had to run to work.

I have rarely had a card that seems to make everything run perfectly so that even while thinking about the card and how things are working, it just makes you decide that there is not anything worth thinking about anymore.

It's like realizing your graphics card is throwing away more frames then it's displaying to the monitor, or playing a game on a network and your ping is 4ms, at that point, who cares what your frame rate or ping is anymore?

Back