Worst cabling job I've ever seen

BigD1108

Limp Gawd
I saw this at the hotel that I work at(I tend bar there on weekends, I'm not there in any sort of IT capacity) It made me laugh...and cry....at the same time. The pictures I took don't even do the terrible cabling job justice. By the way, excuse the crappy picture quality, the pictures were taken using my camera phone. Enjoy:

That's one of those deals where when a problem arises, you just toss in a new cable. No way to trace that mess. It needs a complete re-wire.

Damn, thats pretty bad.

Nothing a chainsaw or a couple of cat's can't fix right up.

I have seen much worse.

one the patch panel and the switch were on opposite sides of the room 5 feet away.
They ran 10 foot patch cables right through the middle of the room and had a rope tied to the ceiling to hold them up in the center to form an isle.

I feel less bad about my company's current server room setup now :p

I've got a HS that I do work for that is bad, but not nearly that bad. That's pretty attrocious.

While not bad like that (stringing wires between selves like that), I'm sure most of you would laugh at mine.

Need to spend a weekend re-doing it, but my problem is most of the wires are too short to string them nicely. I guess I need to get some couplers together and spend a weekend making it tidy. Zipties FTW!

While not bad like that (stringing wires between selves like that), I'm sure most of you would laugh at mine.

Need to spend a weekend re-doing it, but my problem is most of the wires are too short to string them nicely. I guess I need to get some couplers together and spend a weekend making it tidy. Zipties FTW!

Not sure of your setup or situation... but why wouldn't you just buy new/longer cables and do the job correctly?

That's the thing.....we don't have any IT staff at all at the hotel. So I'm not even sure who has to deal with that mess. But yes, I do feel sorry for them.

wow...thats as bad as ours was.
that is until i redid the whole thing...fricking took a long ass time.

this is how I patch.

patchqf1.jpg

^^^ nice.

We needed to redo our patch panel at my place of employment and originally myself and another admin were going to do it. But our boss decided to hire an outside company for just about $2000. It was a disaster.

took them 2 days to do what I could've in half of one
they only had 5ft blue cables ( we needed 3 different colors)
they didn't test all the cables
they didn't label them
they didn't pull them all and rerun them properly, they just reused a lot of what was already there

disaster. wish I did it myself.

^^^ nice.

We needed to redo our patch panel at my place of employment and originally myself and another admin were going to do it. But our boss decided to hire an outside company for just about $2000. It was a disaster.

took them 2 days to do what I could've in half of one
they only had 5ft blue cables ( we needed 3 different colors)
they didn't test all the cables
they didn't label them
they didn't pull them all and rerun them properly, they just reused a lot of what was already there

disaster. wish I did it myself.

I'll never understand why a company will hire an outside firm to do something that its employees are willing to do. Even if you have to pay them overtime its usually still far less expensive.

I'll never understand why a company will hire an outside firm to do something that its employees are willing to do. Even if you have to pay them overtime its usually still far less expensive.

I have no idea.

That's the thing.....we don't have any IT staff at all at the hotel. So I'm not even sure who has to deal with that mess. But yes, I do feel sorry for them.

look at the screen savr is that a help line 1800 number? =)

There should be, instead of a show called "pimp my ride" we should have "pimp my server room". Because some of these server rooms need to be pimped damn near within an inch of their lives.
I remember going to out to a place that sells hot tubs and bar room equipment to redo their network. The Cat5 they ran out onto the show room floor were bundled together with duct tape and taped up the walls, up to the ceiling, then back down the far wall to the PCs at the check out. Ever been in a duct tape war? I don't think I've ever seen a bigger ball of duct tape than the one collected from all the duct tape from that terrible wiring job. One of the hubs (yes hub, not switch,) that were used to repeat the signal from the server room to the check out counter weighed about 5 pounds and was suspended in the air from the ceiling by its power cord and the cabling running into it.

Yes, that is a help line number. They have them posted in the offices as well. I forgot the name of the company that does the tech support, but it's pretty hilarious. And, of course, sad.

I've got to say mine is a little over half that bad. It's not neat at all.
I don't have cables strung across the room, and they're all labeled... But I've got plenty of slack drooping around should I ever have to move stuff around.

Which reminds me- what do you all use to label your cables?

For my home network, I just use a Dymo digital label-maker. Works pretty well. Bought it at Wal-Mart for like $20.

Liability. If something happens, blame said outside company instead of one of your own.

@op = LOL

They ran 10 foot patch cables right through the middle of the room and had a rope tied to the ceiling to hold them up in the center to form an isle.

Wow.... That is hilarious.

One of the hubs (yes hub, not switch,) that were used to repeat the signal from the server room to the check out counter weighed about 5 pounds and was suspended in the air from the ceiling by its power cord and the cabling running into it.

This thread is just too good

I have seen some pretty bad ones but I think that about takes the cake...
most people just don't care about their network infrastructure.

What I don't understand about the above 3, is that if/when there was a problem, how would you troubleshoot it? It was take days, no?

Back