Worst Apple product you've ever owned?

Hm. Most of my Apple products have been good, including my MacBook Aluminium, MacBook Pro 2010, iMac 2010, eMac 2004, our oldschool Blueberry iMac G3 (!!!) and my iPod's and iPhones. I do have to say though every Apple mouse I have ever used was absolute garbage.

I do have to say though every Apple mouse I have ever used was absolute garbage.

The only mice that were only good were the old beige mice - they made some terrible clear/colored ones starting with the iMac.

The worst thing I have had was a PowerMac 6200. Piece of crap.

Macintosh Performa 630cd

I still want the money back I dropped on that 68LC040-based turd.

Runner up: Quadra 605, also a 68LC040 steamer, that I had at work at the time.

Not really the worst product, but more of a feature.

Taking the card reader out of the 11" MBA. -.-

I'm sure they could've squeezed it in there somewhere.

The only mice that were only good were the old beige mice - they made some terrible clear/colored ones starting with the iMac.

The worst thing I have had was a PowerMac 6200. Piece of crap.

Ah yes. My father used to own a newspaper with some of the older macs that had the beige mice. I actually didn't mind them so much at all.

I've owned plenty of Apple products and the only major issue I ever had was the 2008 MacBook Pro with the 8600GT video card. One day my screen goes black, I take it in to the Apple store and tell the 'Genius' (as much as I love Apple, I hate that they call their techs that) that it appears my video card is defective because of the KNOWN 8600 video card issue. Nope he says, that's not it.

Waited 3 days, went back to the Apple store. Looked at the 'Genius' and just said "DURRRRR My screen goes black for no reason", he takes it to the back and comes back and tells me "Oh it looks like you're MBP is suffering from a known Nvidia GPU recall - we'll replace the logic board"

That still irritates me but I've learned that being an educated consumer will get you nowhere in the Apple store since the 'Geniuses' want to feel that they know more than anyone else about the products.

That said, I still buy their products but generally haven't had any issues since I tend to 'flip' whatever I buy pretty often. It's crazy what people are willing to pay for used Apple products.

I used to be an Apple fanboy until I bought a PowerPC water cooled PowerMac G5 2,5 gHz dual socket CPU. This thing was loud like an airplane on load. Great home heater too. But the worst came a few months after I bought it, Steve Jobs announced the shift from PowerPC to Intel. That made my 4000$ investment a short term outdated piece of crap! Never came back to Apple.

I used to be an Apple fanboy until I bought a PowerPC water cooled PowerMac G5 2,5 gHz dual socket CPU. This thing was loud like an airplane on load. Great home heater too. But the worst came a few months after I bought it, Steve Jobs announced the shift from PowerPC to Intel. That made my 4000$ investment a short term outdated piece of crap! Never came back to Apple.

I just ordered one of those (air cooled though) to replace my iMac. PPC ftw. :cool:

Why get a powermac instead of a mac mini?

Because the model I ordered was the late-2005, 2.5GHz dual-socket dual-core 970MP model.
The Mac Minis of that era were kind of cruddy imo, the modern ones have definitely improved in reliability.

The PowerMac is going to be my server, which I specifically want for its PPC architecture.
Though much slower in comparison to modern x86 processors, I've found the PPC architecture to be incredibly stable.

Also, the system can have a maximum of 16GB ECC DDR2, which is a plus for an older system.

2011 MacBook Air.

Screen cracked during normal usage (I closed it, apparently there was a piece of dirt between the wristrest and screen -- oh wait, terrible design, zero gap there). It was a tiny pinpoint thing. Couldn't even see what caused it, just saw it when I re-opened the thing.

I called Apple, told them what happened and how, brought it to a store and they told me tough shit, hand over $600. I'd bought the machine for $850, so that wasn't happening. Why $600 for a $90 panel? They replace the /entire top of the damn thing/ because they were idiots and glued it all together so there would be no visible screws. Second strike for idiotic design.

I used it with the crack for a few weeks as it got worse and worse... then one day the damn thing wouldn't do anything but show a white screen when turned on.

So I brought it back to the store, they said "oh no worries we'll get it taken care of, we don't have the part but we'll ship it off and they'll send it back to you." A week or so later I get a call from Apple's repair center. They claim the machine has extensive water damage and will not repair it under warranty. Grand total for repairs? Over $1000. A new machine would cost the same or less. I told them to forget it, not going to happen, and oh by the way it /never/ got wet. They said tough luck, all the water damage indicators have gone off, no warranty service.

Did I mention I paid $250 for AppleCare extension (and the machine was less than 6 months old) at the start of this disaster? At one point I asked for a refund (given the machine was a paperweight and I'd never actually /used/ AppleCare since it was still under the first year default warranty). More or less got laughed at.

First Apple product, last Apple product. Fuck that company. Terrible products, terrible service. I love my EliteBook and will never buy another consumer laptop, period. Too much bullshit to deal with.

I paid less for the HP, it's better specced /everywhere/ than the Air with the exception of weight and thinness (CPU, GPU, RAM, battery life, screen resolution... everything). I then got an extension to 4 year warranty with accident protection for less than I paid for AppleCare extension to 3 years without accident protection.

Die in a fire, Apple.

I think it's hit or miss. Some people have really good experiences with AppleCare (compared with other companies' warranty policies), to the point that they shop exclusively Apple because they don't want to deal with any headache or issues.

I'd have to go with the Smart Case for iPad. In some ways it's great but the thing is incredibly uncomfortable to use.

Owned? geese... worst of the best... I guess the iPhone 3G was the worst, but only because I had so many apps that didn't port over (or have equivalents) from Windows Mobile at the time (hard to choose one because I've owned the best of the lines, mostly by choice - iPod Touch1/3/4, MacBook C2D, iPhone 3G/3GS/4, iPad 1/2, and now MBPR) I guess the second worst would be my old white macbook because it's Wifi signal was weak, but that was due to a miss-seated+Damaged antenna and if I'd been willing to pay the $400 repair fee to have them crack open the bezel and replace the wire it would probably have been fine)

Used... ANY Mac running MacOS. I love OSX to death, but MacOS sucked balls imo... Also in terms of pure hardware, I'd have to go with the powermac mouse (the little round one) cramped up my hand quickly in school (and I have/had small hands, I don't know how anyone with large hands can even use it!) hell I'd rather use the old "squareish" mouse from the original Macs than the round one...

Can i say itunes ? I know its not a material product , but the interface and just the way it works is totally bad.

Any of the mice. Apple has NEVER made a good mouse. Which is shocking because the touchpads are hands down the best on the market.

Agree completely. I have never found one that is ergonomic or easy to use. They always get mucked up or break easily, and they are super overpriced to replace.

And I would disagree, I wish PC mouse manufacturer's would make more fingertip mice, instead of all the palm-grip mice.

I know people like the palm-grip mice, but I never have.

Again though, a "different strokes, different folks" kind of point, but nobody on the PC side makes a decent fingertip mouse (at least not that I'm familiar with anyways, I'm probably wrong though).

PC mouse manufacturers? Most accessories in the input area (keyboards/mice) are cross platform. There are also only about a million different options.

Razer, Logitech, Microsoft, etc. all make some great mice for different types of mice users. Personally I tend to use fingertips with my G5 and love it.

Can i say itunes ? I know its not a material product , but the interface and just the way it works is totally bad.

iTunes works for you!? I'd have to agree. I've only used it on Windows, so I'm not that familiar with it. But, on Windows, it sucks. I'm not sure if it's intentional to get people to move to Mac OSX, or just shitty Windows programmers. But, it constantly locks up, fails to see devices, fails to see different devices as different (my wife's iPad, my iPad and 2 iPhones - son and wife - sometimes are recognized as a different one), wanting to take over and play media files or organize my media... I could go on and on about iTunes.

I don't own it myself, but my wife did (and now son): iPhone 4. It locks up, slows down, reboots.... Pain in the ass. 4S is better, but still has the occasional lockup.

My Apple experience is very limited, though.

Ball Mouse from the original iMac. Thing was a piece of shit.
iTunes for Windows is a close second.

iTunes, and iTunes support. Its clunky, the UI is horrible, its slow and bloated, and its by far the worst part about using Apple products. I cannot count how many times its screwed up and forced me to re-do things, or find a third party tool to accomplish what I need done.

Also, if someone hacks your ITunes account somehow and changes your email address to theirs, iTunes support is clueless and they just continually send password resets to the hacked email address, even after explaining in detail what the problem is. So much ANGER.

It really is amazing how much better iTunes runs on OS X.

And I think I figured out why they created the iPad and the magic trackpad: because they cant design a mouse for shit. So they went with touch controls instead lol

iTunes, and iTunes support. Its clunky, the UI is horrible, its slow and bloated, and its by far the worst part about using Apple products. I cannot count how many times its screwed up and forced me to re-do things, or find a third party tool to accomplish what I need done.

This! Apple really needs to start from ground zero and build this app over. And do it right. Luckily, I don't need to use itunes much at all.

This! Apple really needs to start from ground zero and build this app over. And do it right. Luckily, I don't need to use itunes much at all.

The crapiness of iTunes on Windows is a not-so-subtle ad for Mac. Apple doesn't really care how well it runs on Windows, as long as it's good enough. When people use a Mac and see that iTunes is super fast and runs perfectly, it makes it seem that the Mac is better or faster than the Windows machine the user is used to. Users who refuse to switch can still continue to use the clunky Win version, but they'll always pine for the speedy iTunes they used in the Apple store, which is exactly what Apple wants.

The crapiness of iTunes on Windows is a not-so-subtle ad for Mac. Apple doesn't really care how well it runs on Windows, as long as it's good enough. When people use a Mac and see that iTunes is super fast and runs perfectly, it makes it seem that the Mac is better or faster than the Windows machine the user is used to. Users who refuse to switch can still continue to use the clunky Win version, but they'll always pine for the speedy iTunes they used in the Apple store, which is exactly what Apple wants.

I have always suspected this was the case, but I have a MBA and it doesn't influence me one bit to dump my Windows machines. I understand that anyone can write crappy code and I don't put them above doing it for iTunes on Windows.

I threw my 1st gen at someone in a bar fight, didn't realize I did it but I also didnt care I lost it either.

I LOL'd at this so hard. Thank you for making my day! As for me - the crappiest Apple product I used was an iPod 3rd Generation, 40GB. I dropped it in my locker once (from like a height that was six inches or so - no joke), and that destroyed the harddrive. Thankfully, it was on loan from my University so they replaced it with another one; no charge, no question.

I later purchased a Fifth Generation iPod video (80GB) and own a 3rd Generation iPod Touch, and had an iPhone 3GS and now have an iPhone 4. Interestingly enough, none of my other iPods and Apple products have given me trouble. But that damn 3rd Gen - it was a piece of junk.

And yeah, I use iTunes on Windows and agree that it's not the most stable thing in the world. Irritates me when I see my friends with an older Core Duo MacBook Pro running smoother than my i3 on Windows, but it's functional and at the very least, does what it's supposed to do. I nominate that as the second worst Apple product I've owned.

Last edited:
Oh sweet bajebus, yes, as Ur_Mom said, your really SoL if you have multiple devices of the same line... I have an iPad1 and an iPad3, the 1 is 64gb so I store a lot of videos on it, the 3 is 16gb so it doesnt get much except music and apps - but it gets apps that use the camera. so:

iPad1 --- LOTS of vids, no camera apps
iPad3 --- few videos, camera apps

my iTunes will not stop installing the camera apps on both iPads, and also I have 3 iPhone-specific apps (to make/rout calls) and 1 iphone-specific flashlight one (LED flash)... all of these get sync'd randomly even when I tell them not to... (of course apps take only a few mb of space, and no time to sync, the videos bug the living *bleep* out of me)

I finally have started only syncing when I need to add music, all my backups are in the iCloud, which *seems* so far not to have f'd anything up...

Worst for me is the HDMI adapter for my iPhone 4S. It works, but not in 1080P and it's stupid expensive for a port that should be built in.

Not really the worst product, but more of a feature.

Taking the card reader out of the 11" MBA. -.-

I'm sure they could've squeezed it in there somewhere.

It's all about controlling storage to force obsolete the devices in the future, they ve become shameless about this and the retina MacBook pro is the epitome of this.

I would say any MacBook Pro....

They have incredibly bad cooling and throttling the CPU to keep the temperature down...

They have throttle down the CPU to 800Mhz after 75c-80c, which is quite stupid....

Mini-DP to DVI/VGA adapters. Shit broke ALL the time and it's $30 per. I remember when Apple used to include all the goodies so you didn't feel nickel and dimed to death.

Back