World's Smallest Cloud Data Center

HardOCP News

[H] News
Today Intel showcased its latest cloud technologies with “the world’s smallest cloud data center” demonstration tool. Pint-sized but potent, the ‘Cloud-in-a-Box’ system packs a punch with innovations to help build secure, efficient clouds. Powered by Intel® Xeon® processors and driven by simplification, virtualization, security and open standards, it was demoed today in Australia. Next stops: Taiwan, Korea and India. Learn how Intel is bringing the promise of cloud to reality with its Cloud 2015 Vision.

I suggest you look closer at the operating system features...and the full VMWare, Citrix, Hyper-V support.

qnap and synology don't sell any of those products, or any VM servers.

intel does.

i suggest you look closer at the topic of conversation.

Topic was World's Smallest Cloud Data Center. Showed a smaller, more personal, yet still enterprise worthy one...

Those are self contained NAS solutions, you can't install apps on them, all that VM support it lists means those VMs can see it and use it... when installed on a client machine. A system with a dual core 3.1GHz CPU with no brand mentioned and a MAX of 8GB RAM is NOT a "cloud in a box", it's a NAS.

Personally I don't like this whole cloud movement, I can see a future where cost of the equivalent to today's desktops is 2-3x what it is now because only us nerds use them and all the "normals" that make up 90% of the market are all using thin clients connected and trusting all these big corporations to run their apps and store their data. The only use I have for anything cloud is offsite storage to backup important data, but even then only after it being encrypted before it's sent out. I want what's mine on my own machines that I can touch, I don't need google or microsoft or internet start up #3564783457 to hold or process it for me.

Those are self contained NAS solutions, you can't install apps on them, all that VM support it lists means those VMs can see it and use it... when installed on a client machine. A system with a dual core 3.1GHz CPU with no brand mentioned and a MAX of 8GB RAM is NOT a "cloud in a box", it's a NAS.

Personally I don't like this whole cloud movement, I can see a future where cost of the equivalent to today's desktops is 2-3x what it is now because only us nerds use them and all the "normals" that make up 90% of the market are all using thin clients connected and trusting all these big corporations to run their apps and store their data. The only use I have for anything cloud is offsite storage to backup important data, but even then only after it being encrypted before it's sent out. I want what's mine on my own machines that I can touch, I don't need google or microsoft or internet start up #3564783457 to hold or process it for me.

I agree. I really don't get this whole "cloud" thing. I want to be the only one with access to my data. If you hand it over to a third party to manage for you, despite their promise that they won't touch it, it's still a risk. I mean the pentagon should store all of their top secret military docs. on Chinese based cloud storage, after all, they promised they won't spy into it so we know it's safe!

Also, I don't want my access to my data 100% dependant on an Internet connetion. Local networks are way more reliable than the Internet.

I agree. I really don't get this whole "cloud" thing. I want to be the only one with access to my data. If you hand it over to a third party to manage for you, despite their promise that they won't touch it, it's still a risk. I mean the pentagon should store all of their top secret military docs. on Chinese based cloud storage, after all, they promised they won't spy into it so we know it's safe!
But its the cloud! Its new, its shiny! :p

Let's not forget that currently, US broadband sucks, in fact max upload speeds available at my home do not even meet the requirements to be called "broadband". Then my ISP wants to charge me $0.20/gb for data transfer...Every time I want to access my data.

Samsung wants $0.035/gb for a physical hard drive to store my data on. Even if I mirror everything, it's still 1/3 the cost just in transfer fees, not counting whatever I'd have to pay for cloud storage itself.

Cloud data is not secure as Microsoft admitted.
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/igenerati...riot-act-can-access-eu-based-cloud-data/11225

Amazon's Cloud Locker has a binding agreement for “the right to access, retain, use and disclose your account information and Your Files” under certain situations.
Amazon also admits “We do not guarantee that Your Files will not be subject to misappropriation, loss or damage and we will not be liable if they are. You’re responsible for maintaining appropriate security, protection and backup of Your Files.”
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2382830,00.asp

And what about switching from iCloud to Google's cloud. Might be quite the hassle.
http://www.investmentu.com/2011/June/cloud-computing-unstoppable-yet-vulnerable.html

I know some people love the cloud and that's fine but I'm good without it.

Well, the VM storage is a part of it...but if you look at what Amazon's Cloud is doing and the iCloud...both Synology and QNAP provide those same functions in your own private box. VDI is a part of cloud, but functionality wise, you're getting that same service as you were from them. The topic of the thread again was smallest cloud in a box, not smallest datacenter. Data center is for hundreds or thousands of users.

The NAS boxes can host an email server, a wiki/blog/bb service, even an ecommerce service with the applets you install (and yes, this is on the box itself), host your multimedia files and allow access from your phones and tablets when you're on the go. It can backup to either another NAS or one of the storage cloud services off site. Hence, I stand by my statement...smallest cloud in a box ;)

Right now, the devices from both companies can provide you with the same service Apple and Amazon are offering right now if the box is set up correctly. Ultimately, Intel's version could probably provide more functionality out of the gate, say offering a virtualized office suite ala office 365, but cloud's hype around the mainstream offerings are similar, albeit on a more personal level. And as 'newer' functionality and services become more mainstream...you can just add another, probably more capable, box.

The topic of the thread again was smallest cloud in a box, not smallest datacenter. Data center is for hundreds or thousands of users.
Thread title: World's Smallest Cloud Data Center

The NAS boxes can host an email server, a wiki/blog/bb service, even an ecommerce service with the applets you install (and yes, this is on the box itself), host your multimedia files and allow access from your phones and tablets when you're on the go. It can backup to either another NAS or one of the storage cloud services off site. Hence, I stand by my statement...smallest cloud in a box ;)
They're NAS boxes, not servers. Try running a load balancer out to 20 apache instances on one. You can't.

Back