World’s Largest Rube Goldberg Machine Lights Up Christmas Tree

From Wikipedia:
A Rube Goldberg machine is a contraption, invention, device, or apparatus that is deliberately over-engineered to perform a simple task in a complicated fashion, generally including a chain reaction. The expression is named after American cartoonist and inventor Rube Goldberg (1883–1970).

Over the years, the expression has expanded to mean any confusing or complicated system.

So Rube Goldberg Machine = government process efficiency and large corporate business efficiency

Walking over and turning the light on = small private business efficiency

The mechanical engineering and physics work that went into the contraption is impressive. I enjoyed watching the video though I do agree the camera work could have been a bit better.

Mouse Trap
mouse-trap-game.jpg

I stopped watching the video after a minute or so. That was the most boring machine I've ever seen.

Looks like they fast forwarded the fuck out of the machine part

Also it was a poor choice to roll with a zoom and adjust it as they went. Should have gone for a nice wide prime lens and gotten a nice shot that actually showed the whole machine instead of cropping half of it the entire time.

To be fair it looks like one of the kids that put it together just said "hey I have a gimbal at home let me use it" but sadly they would have been better off having someone just use their iPhone to film it

Too many jump cuts, and it's fairly obvious they either never clued the camera operator in on the sequence of the machine, or they simply forgot where the next action was taking place too many times. And I agree, a bunch of the segments were virtually identical, just to make a bigger machine.

The Incredible Machine and the various sequels were some of my favorite games. ANd if you want a taste of the ORIGINALE Rube Goldberg designs, there is a game for iOS (and I suspect Android as well) that has you solve the puzzle ala TIM which results in something very similar or identical to the original cartoon from which it is taken. My only disappoint with it is that there are too few puzzles and you can finish it way too fast.

Back