World's First Self-Driving Taxis Debut In Singapore

HardOCP News

[H] News
Uber has been beaten to the punch by a Chinese company called nuTonomy. For now, the autonomous taxis will be operating in a limited area and the rides are free. Uber better step it up if it wants to keep up with these guys. ;)

Select members of the public will be able to hail a free ride through their smartphones in taxis operated by nuTonomy, an autonomous vehicle software startup. While multiple companies, including Google and Volvo, have been testing self-driving cars on public roads for several years, nuTonomy says it will be the first to offer rides to the public. It will beat ride-hailing service Uber, which plans to offer rides in autonomous cars in Pittsburgh, by a few weeks.

Sounds more and more like maybe we're about to experience the iPhone of transportation in the next ten years. Curious to see what something this disruptive would do to business and society.

That and automation in general I guess, both scary and exciting at the same time.

Last edited:
Chinese designed and manufactured self driving cars rushed to production to beat Google, Ubers, etc? What could go wrong...

Sounds more and more like maybe we're about to experience the iPhone of transportation in the next ten years.
Overpriced transportation that won't fit most of your stuff, copies much of its competition but claims patents on other's designs but in a sleeker looking chassis, and will only take you to certain parts of the city?

Overpriced transportation that won't fit most of your stuff, copies much of its competition but claims patents on other's designs but in a sleeker looking chassis, and will only take you to certain parts of the city?

Lol

So if I buy a fleet of these self-driving cars, I can start my own taxi company?

Regulatory/administrative issues aside, in theory sure why not?

I recall one of Elon Musk's supposed goals for future Tesla cars was the ability to send the car away to work for you when you don't need it, so I could see someone starting a fleet with that I guess, but I'm not sure how long it'd be before the market reaches saturation if that ever comes to pass.

I wouldn't wanna do it personally, the idea of total strangers trashing my ride does not sound enticing to me, but it'd be nice to have some family/friends assigned as valid passengers and then let the car self-drive them around town while I'm at work for example.

Last edited:
I don't see how an autonomous car can deal with all the ridiculously insane and inept driving in places like Singapore and other places. I feel like there would be too many variables that would confuse the system or either cause an accident. sure an autonomous vehicle can brake immediately, but can it also then accelerate immediately afterwards to get out of a situation? Possible cars coming towards the sides or rear? I don't know....

Back