World’s First 75Mbps Cell Phone Network

HardOCP News

[H] News
The good news is that there is now a 75Gbps cell phone network! The bad news…it is in Japan. :(

The dominant wireless operator in the country says it plans to open its Xi network (Xi should be pronounced "Crossy" according to Docomo) on Christmas Eve, speeding mobile downloads to up to 75Mbps.

hmm 75Gbps. if i can tether my phone to my laptop awesome!

I think in no time at all it will be available. Technology is evolving fast. Everybody will be happy with it. Just pray it will come sooner.

This is what capitalist greed in America gets you. I pay as much for my 1Mbps connection as they likely pay for their insane cellphone connection. (they likely pay less) There's no innovation here, only price gouging sprinkled with a little bit of consumer rape on top.

Congratulations, rest of the world. You win.

75Mbps connection with a 5Gb cap :rolleyes:

Its a cell phone man. I surf the shit out of my phone (web, youtube, Pandora...little bit of tethering to my laptop for online gaming) and I think the most I have used is 1GB...but usually like 800MB.

Faster connection doesn't neccesarily mean you have to download more it also means you dont have to wait as long.

You know..if I could get a job there doing something other then teaching freaking english I would bloody move there. :(

Japanese cell companies have it much easier because its a small country, theres so much less land they have to try and cover.

Fixed:

"This is what governmental greed and over regulation in America gets you."

Business is a problem when it's in bed with the government. Large companies will use government regulations to stifle the competition, and then raise prices in their purchased virtual monopoly.

Wonder why you only have a choice of one cable company? It's because your town/city/county signed an exclusive agreement with your cable company. The city demands certain freebies (public access, free cable at city hall, etc), and the company simply jacks up the price to the consumer to pay for the freebies.

I want their Internet speeds and bullet trains first. At this rate though it seems like it'll be another 20 years before our infrastructure is there. =(

Are there many phones that can take advantage of this type of speed? They would be hardware limited by the phone way before 75Gbps... but for a PC, would be awesome!

You could always join the military and push to get deployed there. :p

Not a good idea since the Japanese have a disdain for American Military members there (no thanks to the drunk soldiers there that decide to get rowdy and start fights, or rape, then proceed to haul ass back to base where the Japanese police can't do anything (and the soldiers know it) so in turn get the lower than dogshit treatment, when in uniform, from the Japanese).

Not a good idea since the Japanese have a disdain for American Military members there (no thanks to the drunk soldiers there that decide to get rowdy and start fights, or rape, then proceed to haul ass back to base where the Japanese police can't do anything (and the soldiers know it) so in turn get the lower than dogshit treatment, when in uniform, from the Japanese).

Hmm, never knew it was so bad there. Sounds really crappy both accounts.

I love how T-Mobile is spamming on TV that they have new phones with 4g.... yet my 2 year old Google G1 w/ 3G barely EVER (in a major city) gets 3G.

How can they spam having 4G, when 3G barely exists on my 2009 smart phone?

I love how T-Mobile is spamming on TV that they have new phones with 4g.... yet my 2 year old Google G1 w/ 3G barely EVER (in a major city) gets 3G.

I dont know how it works exactly, but with my EVO sometimes when the 3G signal is really low and I can't surf the web I'll turn on 4G (normally off due to battery) and it switches over and I can surf now. So I don't know if they are seperate networks.

The only thing the USA cellphone companies are innovative at is ripping off the consumers.

that's really only a half truth...most businesses around military installations love americans and if you go out in uniform you're a douche anyway

that's really only a half truth...most businesses around military installations love americans and if you go out in uniform you're a douche anyway

Which is what...Yokohama and Okinawa? I know there was at least one attempt by the people to not allow the U.S. to have their bases in Japan because of such incidents I have mentioned (and obviously nothing ultimately happened). Put another way though, American tourists are tolerated more than American GIs based there.

Tmobiles 4g is actually the same thing AT&T call 3g....

4g is nothing but a marketing term, there is no regulatory bodies that control wireless terms. LTE(4g) is 3-4 times faster than Tmobiles current "4g", when Tmobile gets LTE they'll probably call it 5g :rolleyes:

Tmobiles 4g is actually the same thing AT&T call 3g....

4g is nothing but a marketing term, there is no regulatory bodies that control wireless terms. LTE(4g) is 3-4 times faster than Tmobiles current "4g", when Tmobile gets LTE they'll probably call it 5g :rolleyes:

thats nice, but while my friends AT&T phone is dropping calls all day long I will continue to enjoy my T-Mobile network :p

and when will AT&T deploy their 4g network? when they decide they can rape people more with that one? maybe I can get 100mbit service with a 1Gb cap! woohoo!

I want their Internet speeds and bullet trains first. At this rate though it seems like it'll be another 20 years before our infrastructure is there. =(

Trains will never happen. Basically everyone who was for it was voted out, and some of the new guys have flat out said "that train is dead" and that high speed trains were the dumbest ideas they've ever heard. Remember, trains promote the global warming myth, and some of the negativity is focused on old 40mph trains, not the faster trains that were to be deployed.

Because it's more like 3.5G, not actual 4G.

HSPA+

thats nice, but while my friends AT&T phone is dropping calls all day long I will continue to enjoy my T-Mobile network :p

and when will AT&T deploy their 4g network? when they decide they can rape people more with that one? maybe I can get 100mbit service with a 1Gb cap! woohoo!

If you look at it as T-Mobile does, they already have and have a bigger network (180 million vs 140 million) And while T-Mobile plans to have 200 million by the end of the year AT&T will have it to 250 million by the end of the month.

I'm not going to even comment on how T-Mobile is counting numbers, which is questionable if it's like my hometown where their 3G is on one tower which barely covers one city in the area, but the city is considered completely converted.

Every service has problems, even Verizon. just be happy with what you have, and if you aren't switch.

I'm assuming most of you all that would like to move there are white/caucasian. In that case, the Japanese women will probably go goo-goo, ga-ga over you. Its a real shame how terribly biased they are towards while men. I make a fake profile as a white man on a Japanese dating site for kicks and get tons of views and replys constantly. I make one as my real self, an Indian/South Asian male and get almost nothing. I don't mind, as long as the disparity isn't that large, give us other guys a chance too eh East Asian girls? :(

Back